Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck traxx

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Dec 29, 2004.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

here's a link to go check out track conversions for trucks. they are really cool

www.mattracks.com

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I watched all those videos. I think they are really cool but I hear they also come with a hefty price tag.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

There are a ton of trucks that can go places where those can't even go. Waste of $$$ ,but they do look cool..

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

what kinda truck u talkin about? i know that the tracked trucks can go a lot of places normal vehicles wouldnt be able to... such as in the middle of nowhere in the winter with DEEP snow.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i think expensive is an overstatement here. this site gave me a quote of something like starting at $22k :haha: think they got big heads or something. i rather doubt that they are the only people doing this. and ive seen tracks on trucks beforew now and i doubt where i saw them the people could afford a $22k - $33k price tag either.... anyone know of other places to find track kits?

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

anyone?

7. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

ok so you only drive in the snow?:xmas: if so buy a set. not tryin to flame you but, track-trucks seem to be more of a single purpose vehicle. if it is snow they kick ass. how bout mud? rocks? steep inclines with only rock to grip? think about it?:grin:

8. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Mattrax got started in the snow and swamps of northern Minnesota
    George

9. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

they have over 2square feet of contact compaired to a aired down tire at like 6 sqare inches of contact and the float on deep snow and deep mud i seen them in action they pritty cool but certanly not woth the price

willow

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

a few months ago a guy was selling a set on ebay for about 10 or 12 grand.

if i had the cash i would have they came with a tricked out 85 chevy pick up lifted to fit 44, real nice looken.

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

your tires only have 6 square inches of contact patch when aired down? its not our fault you run skateboard wheels on your trail rig. they're nowhere near as good of a deal as one would think. a good set of tires will go the same places, and at 1/20th of the price.

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

IF I had a plow truck I would for sure get a set, for the rear at least, alot of traction there. Would be impractical otherwise where i live, gravel road would chew the hell out of those things.

14. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well dont matter flame away!!! im flame proof i tell ya :wink: and i am thinkin about retiring later in life to a piece of land in northern maine (if yer not familiar with n maine it can be very desolate!!!!) anywhere between 200 and 500 acres. in the middle of nowhere w/ LOOOOOOOOTS of snow. they get BIG snow up there. obviously for mudding, trail use i would have a k5.... :grin:

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

how deep snow will a "good" tire handle? im talkin about BIG snow. common storms @ 18" per storm and storms occuring more frequently than where i live now in central maine and also in the middle of nowhere. but ya know for the price one could find a used snow cat cheaper i would think. also i am sure if i find the right setup i can make my own reworking a 14bff to be a frontend w/o steering and get a track set to go from front to back and with cutting brakes make a skid steer out of it and not have a lot into it. :thinking: yup a burb would be a good setup :grin: just lift to clear tracks and have a LOT more flotation due to full-length tracks. but where to find the right track setup and all :thinking:

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Go look at the arctic expedition Land Cruisers. Hell, go look at any arctic truck, or anything in iceland. Nobody runs tracks on their trucks, because a big soft tire does just as good, and for $21K less. Almost every one of those trucks out there run Dick Cepek Fun Country's. Aired down to 2psi they will do things in snow that those tracks wont even do. Tracks only work better when they are the length of the vehicle.

17. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

if snow is the biggest concern why not do a rig set up like the iceland guys do! thats all they run on is snow:xmas:

18. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

thanks i never thought of searching for arctic stuff. and i was thinkin about makin a full length track on something like a burb.

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you should tip your dealer. he's selling you some GOOOOOOOOOD sh!t!:screwy:

20. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :waytogo: :waytogo: it is still an intersting question tires or traxx? with tires they would have to be wide. about the widest ive seen normally is 15"-16" so you only get so much tread out of that when aired down. and a full length track setup would be a LOT more trad surface to the ground. also it isnt good to run at low psi forever is it? long periods would shorten the life of the tire wouldnt it? even with bead locks and all i would be feel that i would have a good deal more chance of throwing a tire also. whereas the tracks would be a lot less likely to come off. also for the $800-$1200 price for the tires alone im sure it could be possible to get a set of tracks from something. if not for less. :thinking: and realistically i wouldnt "need" a 4x4 for full length tracks, i could use a 2wd.