Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck wiring...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 15, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't need a wiring diagram, I want to know if there is a book, or somewhere I can read so I know alot more about wiring and electrical stuff... I plan on taking camok5 right off the frame, so there is going to be a bunch of wires... and I need to know how to wire it back up again... and lose some of the wires, add some lights, re-wire the batteries to behind the seats...etc!
    can anyone help?

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

You should be able to find some books on auto wiring basics at any major bookstore. Radio shack has some stuff on basic electrical theory and wiring. If you have a Barnes and noble I'd look there first. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my brother in law let me borrow his little books on basic wiring,they are for building hot rods so its perfect(eliminating useless sh!t like we do). let me go get out of the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. boggerless

i can't find them,i'll look tommorow and give you the name and number or address. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL okay thnks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Want a tip? You can never have too many fuses. If not your truck which you just painted, put a new motor in and made a new interior for can burn down real fast. Please do not ask me how I know.

-Chris

7. boggerless

these little books are sweet,they explain it so simply a two year old could do it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif talk yo you tommorow. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don;t know if I should be saying this, but i want to re-do the whole wiring thing, with new wires, replacing the old worn stock ones... and adding things on the way...so I need a book so I know how to do it.

9. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

wen i rewired my truck, i just ran a ground to the light (or whatever your wiruing up) then a wire to a fuse, then to a switch, then to a positive, i just ran everything liek that, and its been werkin out fine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'd like to re-wire my blazer someday. It's a CUCV so there's a ton of wiring I no longer need. Not to mention no longer having the diesel. I know that Painless makes some generic kits. I know one key is to get wires that will stand up to the engine compartment.

So I would be interested in the books also.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty hard to improve on the stock stuff to be honest. If the wiring harness hasn't been abused (like that ever happens) your better off just working with it and adding what you want.

To do the connectors alone with the same GM used, which has worked for 20+ years, is pretty expensive and is time consuming.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

as long as not a bunch have been cut in the past then you should be just fine, just unplug everything and remove the harness from the cab or front clip, and put them away for now, maybe put tape in a couple places so you can note where that part of the harness was laying int eh cab or clip