Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck won't run! Plz help me.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Jul 8, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Truck won\'t run! Plz help me.

Well, I just got my 81' 305(carburated) back into my truck and now I can't seem to get it running. The dist was 180 degrees out but I got that figured out now for sure. The engine rolls over and will start if you hold it floored but even if you hold it to the floor it will slowly die. Also, there some flame coming from the headers. Neighbour said he thinks its retarded too much. I guess which would make sense because its not burning all the fuel and therefore its coming out into the headers. Just wanted to check with you guys before I do anything stupid.

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Re: Truck won\'t run! Plz help me.

Anyone!?

3. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Give it a rock and try to advance the timing and see what happens. Best case it'll solve your prollem worst case you wasted a few minutes tryin. Nuthin ventured nuthin gained.
    Good luck.

Allan

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

This exact thing just happened to me. You can do a quick search for my posts in the last two weeks, but here's the short of it....

I had to advance mine, but couldn't b/c the vacuum advance was hitting the intake manifold. I had to move the dist over a few teeth so I could advance the timing enough.

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright, well I'm gonna just try to advance mine enough so it'll start then I'll get a light on it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, it still wont run! I am really calling on you here. I advanced the timing until it started kicking back against the starter( I think) then I went back a few degrees from there. It will start but you have to have your foot to the floor and then flames start shooting out of the headers! There is so much raw fuel in there that the headers stayed lit for a little while afterwards once. I just don't get it!