Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck wont shift OUT of 4wd... why??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Dec 4, 2006.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so during the recent 'oklahoma blizzard,' i realized that shifting out of 4wd was a small battle. It's an '87 blazer with a 208 transfer case from a similar year. i blew the original transfer case up a while back, and replaced it with this one from a similar year, but believe it or not this was the first time i used it. it works fine while engaged, but would stay engaged when i moved the shifter to 2hi. the only way i could get it to go back to 2wheel is by stopping, putting it into neutral, putting the transfer case in 4lo then slamming it back into 2hi as quick as i could; sometimes it worked, other times it didnt. one time after failing miserably for about 5 minutes, i just put it in reverse and pressed down on the shifter to the 2hi position and it popped out. im pretty clueless to tell you the truth.. any ideas?? thanks..

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sounds like the shift forks inside the case are messed up. You should probably pull the case out & pop it open. It may be as easy as resetting the forks with some new teflon fork pads or it could be F'ed up real bad. The case may need a rebuild or just a freshening. Worst case is you find a case in good shape & swap it in.

Harley