Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck won't start AGAIN!!!**UPDATE**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, May 29, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Truck won\'t start AGAIN!!!**UPDATE**

Ok, my truck is dead again. It is in the ignition again. My truck is getting no spark to the plugs. I have put in a new pickup coil (again) and no go. I have switched to my backup coil, nothing. I have checked the fuse under the dash. I have bypassed the kill switch. I have tried a new resistence bushing. All didn't work.

My truck has MSD igntion. MSD 6 Offroad box, MSD Blaster SS coil, MSD cap & rotor, MSD super conductor wires. (All pretty new. C&R=3months, Wires=1year, MSD BSS=2weeks, Box=2years)

The MSD box replaces the module and the thing it is conected too, so it is not that because it isn't there.

I have cleaned my MSD terminals and no go. The truck is cranking well but not spark. I do have gas. I have checked as many wires and connectors that I can find and see. Tomorrow I am going to try and wire in a spare MSD 6A box I have and see if that is the problem, and if that isn't it then I have to tow it to the mechanic.

All help will be greatly appreciated. If you have ever had a similar problem i would like to hear about it, and if there is anything else that could be bad what is it? thanks

Harley

2. KPAX-5

KPAX-5 Registered Member

Re: Truck won\'t start AGAIN!!!

might be your ignition key cylinder.

3. Hossbaby50

Would that make my truck not start? I my motor will crank all day, but isn't getting spark. How would I test to see if it was that and how hard and how is it replaced? Thanks

4. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I assume you've made sure the MSD box and distributor is getting power right? Any time I've had ignition problems it's either been from a bad power supply or a fried module, but since you have a MSD system I'd guess either a power problem or the MSD box is faulty maybe.

5. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Yes sounds to me that you have a bad MSD 6 box. You can send them back to MSD repair center and they will fix it for like 60 bucks, been there done that. Try bypassing the box if you can by using the stock ignition module. Never rule out the box even though it say MSD on it. Yes they are good producs in my book but again they are electronics. Go to MSD website and I think there is a diagnosis page on there somewhere. Follow it and it will drill down to the exact problem. Good luck and let us know what you find.

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

make sure you have all of your voltages where they are supposed to be at (first)!! when i had problems with my 6A, i went to their site for troubleshooting tips. however i never figured it out and it hasn't done it in over a year.

http://www.msdignition.com/

http://www.msdignition.com/1troub.htm

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

You need to find out where power is, and where it isn't. Get the test light out and check at the box and after the box to test the box. Also how did you install the msd, most systems still use the ignition module unless you loop around it or by a bypass kit.

8. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

my 6A does not use the ignition module, it is bypassed (and not by a kit), the wires run from the box into the distributor.

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have the same box. Check the wires.
    The big read and black wires need to go directly to the battery.
    The connector (I forget which color) that has two wires with terminal ends needs to attach to the coil.
    The 2-lead pickup wire needs to attach to the harness on the distributor.
    But the most important wire is the igniton hot wire. It MUST have 12V with the key turned to ignition.
    Also, make sure you didn't ground the white wire. That wire, if grounded, will make no sparks. I'd guess you have a grounded white wire or a bad ignition hot.
    -- Mike

10. Hossbaby50

I wired in my spare MSD 6A box today, and my truck started right up. I am going to check and make sure that the white wire isn't grounded but I don't think it is. I know my 12V keyed switch wire is ok, because the new box is running off the same red wire that was attached to the other box. Thanks for all the help.