Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck wont start- got gas but no spark- please read*** still no start, help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Mar 20, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

here's the deal. 86 chev with hei. truck sat for a week. went to start it this morning- not start, just cranking. i'm getting gas. i have juice to the distributor. pulled a plug wire and did the ol' nail in the boot by the mainifold deal--- no spark. so i'm thinking coil. i checked mine for resistance and it seemed to check out ok. but i picked up a new one anyways and tried it out. still no start. so now i'm thinking ignition modual. but it seems to test out ok too. i have resistance between the 2 lead and infanant resistace from the lead to the ground. does this sound right??? am i missing something stupid here? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

Re: truck wont start- got gas but no spark- please read

is it carbed or fuel injected

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

86 would probably be the computer controlled carb.

If your module and coil test out ok, then I would look at your pickup coil. The thing the the module plugs into. Not the condensor, but that might be a problem too. I would look at the pickup coil though.

My truck sat from mid March last year to May, and when I went to fire it up the pickup coil had went bad and it wouldn't start.

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

carb. i read my manual wrong. it said i should have infanate resistance between the 2 terminals on the distrib. modual. and i have resistance. so i'll try replacing that tomorrow and see what happens. any reason this would just up and take a sh!t?

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i thought the dist. mod. and the pick up coil were the same deal. if i got resistance with everything wired up how do i know which is bad? the modual shows resistance out of the vehicle on the bench too. once again do these things just up and quit or is something else wrong?

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am not sure how to test for it all, but yes, the pickup coil can just go with no warning and no reason. Mine probably had a little help because it was worked harder by my MSD but they just go sometimes. I always carry a spare with me at all times for that reason.

I believe though if you get power to the coil then your pickup coil is ok. But if you coil won't charge and discharge properly then you have to start to follow the line back.

I believe this is the order to test in to find out which item is the problem.

1. make sure your distributor is getting the 12 volts it needs.
    2. pickup coil
    3. module
    4. condensor
    5. coil
    6. button (the little button that the coil sits on and touches the rotor to spark)
    7. rotor & cap.
    8. wires

I assume that if you get to one of the points and it won't conduct power past it then that is your bad item. With my MSD it is alot easier to deal with. I don't have the module or condensor to worry about. So it is either the MSD box, coil, or pickup coil on my truck.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

ok, the coil tested out to be fine, i replaced the distributor modual, the pick-up coil test fine. still no start /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif the only thing left is the magnetic pick up. its another 40 dollar item and i don't want to just though money at the thing. is there a way to test the magnetic pickup? my manual doesn't cover a test for that. anything else it could be??? i've got juice to the coil, just no spark

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: truck wont start- got gas but no spark- please read*** still no start,

This is pretty basic, but sometimes. Have you had someone crank the motor while you watch the rotor turn ??? If not, do so. If rotor doesn't turn, think timing chain.

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

well each time i pull the cap off after each unsuccessfull try the rotor is in a different spot. but i should still do that. a guy i work with said he had a distributor shaft brake once and he had to fish the bottom 1/2 out with a big ass maganet /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

I have the same problems. Went thru rblt dist, coil, module, cap/rotor, coil, ground strap, coil, in that order. I'm thinking that all those coils weren't really bad. I really believe the problem is in grounding. Make sure to add a ground strap to the coil in the cap (2). that helped alot. Now I'm going to add an external ground from tapping into th ground wire off the cap. My problem is intermittent, so I'm gong to use an alligator clip and when it doesn't start (not "if"), I'll clip it and hopefully g /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Ok, 1st one to find the cure, e-mail the other /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i think some vehicles are just cursed no matter what you do. then there are the trucks i've owned that i have done less than nothing to, completely abused and pooly maintained that started every day without complant. those are the ones i usually sell cause what fun is that /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

LOL, I had a truck that I din't even change the oil in /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif drove it for a year then sold it! Seriosly though, try replacing the ground strap under the coil.

14. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

still wont start /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif new cap and rotor, new condensor, plus all of the above. i have continuity between coil and distrib. wires. no spark at all. am i missing something stupid. the rotor does in fact turn around and round when the motor cranks. is it possible that even though i have juice to the dist. that i don't have enough juice to fire up the motor? alt going bad? how do i test the alt with my multi meter?

15. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I went through that same thing about two weeks ago, in fact my post read just like this. I replaced every blody thing. I ended up having to get a mechanic to come and help out. We took out all the computer controlled timing advance stuff, and put in somthing from a 70s blazer. started and ran like a champ. I really dont know what was wrong with it all. It was the peice around the pickup coil that has a series of four wires comming out of it. I was able to cut two, red and brown and splice em and get it started but it didnt run well. I wish i was more technical helpfull, maybe someone will know what i am talking about it and put it in better terms,

16. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

during all this did you have the dis out??
    if so could you have it 180 off?
    plug wires in correct order?

dave

17. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

anything yet?

18. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

ended up geting a distrib from the junk yard and puting it in. now it runs. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif man, i hate that! nothing phisically seems wrong with the old one and i either replaced or tested everything to be ok on it. i'm even using the cap, rotor and coil off the old one with the new distributor. weird. well at least it runs......for now /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I am having that exact same issue with my recently acquired blazer. It sat for 4 years and we dropped in a supposedly rebuilt distributor and no spark. Figured out the module was bad and replaced it and still nothing. Got frustrated bought everything brand new ($85 in parts) and still nothing. I got a junk yard distributor coming today that I am going to try, hopefully I will have your luck and it will work. I did talk to a distributor rebuilder and he said sometimes the shaft can cause problems and cause it to have no spark, best bet was to rebuild or buy new.