Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck Wont Start Need help fast!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 12, 2002.

Well I went out this morning to go to school and start my truck, then I realize I forgot something turn it off go inside, come out turn the key and the power seems like it drained. Then nothing, so I throw it on the charger after a little while it reads full so I try to start it and nothing. I have power inside the cab, radio/lights/gauges etc but when I turn the key to start it, it's silent. I checked all the fuses, starter wires etc, and everything looks good. I dont know what to do. Please any help would be awsome. Thanks

1980 Chevy K20, 14bFF, 10b F, 350, TH400, NP208, 4" Lift, ORD 1" Body Lift.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

try making a jumper wire to go from the main post on the starter to the small post with the other wires on it and see if it trys to start if yes then your starter sylanoid went out

wheeling pics

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check that you didn't blow a fusible link, and that your purple (if I remember the color right) starter wire didn't melt through. You have to be getting 12 volts to the starter (or else you wouldn't have power at all) so focus on the wires going from the starter to the fuse panel. I believe its two red wires, one or two fusible links as well. Just check for continuity from the starter to firewall connector (just stick the multimeter probe into the connector next to the wire) on both the red wires and the small purple wire.

You can check starter solenoid (they do fail) by using a screwdriver to "jump" the main batt terminal on the starter, and the terminal the small wire runs to, for "start", which will prove the solenoid good or bad.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. Yes I also tried jumping the two poles together and all it did was make huge sparks. No start. Also I didn't quite get the whole fuseable link thing, sorry. Thanks

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Peel back some insulation on the battery cables and look for corrosion. If they are corroded then there could be enough current to light smaller things but not enough to turn the motor. If there is any doubt then cut off the top few inches of the cable and clamp it back on the post and see if it fires. I guess I just described what Mudhog suggested, just another route.

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s/6superliftand33s.msnw>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s/6superliftand33s.msnw</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

there are 3 posts on the sylanoid one big 2 small make sure you are jumping the right one[​IMG] go from the big one to the small one that has wires hooked up to it and yes it will spark some[​IMG] lol the fusable links mean the 2 wires that go from the starter to the fuse block have fuses between the starter and the fuse panel

wheeling pics

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

when you say it is silent, does the rest of the stuff in the truck shut down also.
    dash lights overhead radio etc?
    or just no juice to the starter?
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

When you turn the key, do the lights and everything inside the cab dim? If so, it is a bad connection somewhere.

If you have someone to help you, use a multimeter or test light to check for 12V at the solenoid terminal with the pink wire going to it when the key is turned to "start". That will test out what these guys are saying.

Also, if the big cable from the battery to the engine block is loose or corroded out, you will get power for the dome light and radio, etc., but not enough juice to turn the starter. Remember, it takes hundreds of amps to get the starter moving.

If you jump the big fat terminal of the starter (with all the wires going to it, including the fat wire from the battery) to the solenoid terminal with the pink wire and it doesn't click, the solenoid is bad (assuming good connections to the battery). If it clicks and the starter doesn't turn, you either have a bad starter or pitted contacts in the solenoid. Either way, you lose.

<font color=green>Top signs you don't have a real 4x4:
    4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts
    1) Unibody</font color=green>

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If my rememberance is correct, by jumping the two starter terminals, it *won't* start, unless you have the key in the "run" position, as the coil isn't getting power when you jump the starter terminals. (coils gotta be hot to fire the plugs) Sparks are normal when "jumpering", but if it cranks over and "sounds" normal (like when the starter worked) then your problem isn't the + batt cable, nor the solenoid.

If you have slow cranking, you are dealing with a bad + batt connection/cable or battery problem more than likely. (check batt ground too)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

9. I pulled the starter and hit the terminals with a car batt charger and nothing. I went and got another starter tonight ($35) and put it in after fighting with it a little bit (due to headers) and once I got the wires on it works fine. So I guess the starter just went out. Thanks so much to all that replyed to try and help me.