Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck won't start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lappasj, Jan 21, 2002.

1. lappasj

lappasj Newbie

truck won\'t start

Was wondering if any of you guys could help. Got a 1990 Blazer. Truck will turn over strong but won't start. Thought either electrical or fuel. Got new battery, alternator, cap + rotor, + fuel filter. Also checked the fuse for fuel pump and seems o.k. Anybody got any ideas of what it could be? Could it be that fuel pump is not working anymore? Is this something that you can change yourself? Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Re: truck won\'t start

See if your truck starts with the gas cap off. Don't laugh, check the gas tank vent lines and make sure they're not plugged. You do play in the mud, right? Test your fuel pump, you should have between 9-13 lbs. I think? Is your coil nfg? Welcome to CK5 and take a second and fill out your bio so we can get to know you.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I'd check your ECM fuses (bottom left of fuse block) to make sure they didn't blow while changing out everything. Also check your fusible links out. Verify your firing order, the fuel filter is correctly installed (they are directional) and double check everything else you've installed.

Cycling the key on and off will put the fuel pump into "prime" mode for a couple seconds. A second set of ears is helpful in listening for the pump.

I can't remember if there is a fuel cutoff relay or not, similar to the F*rds...check your owners manual or I can look it up in mine for you.

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

When you cycle the pump you will need to wait about 15 seconds or else the pump won't prime again. Turn the key to acc. and listen for the pump. If you need to listen for it again you need to wait about 15 sec or else you won't hear anything.

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Thanks, James...

Forgot that little detail :0)

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

No prob... I found this out a few weeks ago when I was trying to fill a 2 gallon can using the fuel pump. Took a little while to fill it, but it worked.