Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truck wont start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FatBoyBlazer, Mar 15, 2003.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i jumped in it this morning turned the key and all i got was a buzzing noise from under the dash....sounded like a door switch but its not..any one ever run into this problem? the starter dosn't even engage.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Usually when you get the buzz and no crank it is the battery. Try your connections on the battery. Move them around and make sure they are clean. Then if that doesn't work try a jump start.

3. FatBoyBlazer

i tried to jump it and that didn't work....its got a 1 month old yellow top optima.but i'll check the conections

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If that doesn't work you can give it the smack test. Smack the starter with a pole or something. I use my big maglite flashlight to smack the starter. Then try and crank it. Sometimes if the solinoid is going out the won't disengage. The smack will usually disengage it.

If that doesn't work try and arch the solinoid with a screwdriver. Put the key in the on position and arch the terminals on the starter solinoid. This will tell you if it will crank at all. If it doesn't crank when you arch the posts then your starter is probably shot, some wiring is fried, or your ignition switch my be toast. Thats all I can really help you with though. I don't know much more to try and get a truck to run.

5. FatBoyBlazer

thanks i'll try that when i get out of work /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. FatBoyBlazer

it turn out to be a loose wire on the selnoid.....thanks