Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truck wont turn over

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76_Cheyenne, Feb 17, 2004.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I have a 1998 K2500 w/ 6.5l diesel. Never had a problem till one day I turned the Key and the engine would not turn over. The lights came on, glowplugs warmed but all that happened when i turned the key was a click. It eventually started after I said s*** and kicked the tire. Turned the key and started like always. It did it a few more times, sometimes starting sometimes not. Till it would not start at all. Had it towed to the chevy dealer, told me i needed a new starter. 450$ later it started everytime.... at least for a week. Then it would randomly not turn over the first time i would turn the key, just a click. Then it worked fine for a couple weeks, then it did it again. Took it to the Chevy dealer in Montana where i live. They couldn't get the truck to NOT turn over. told me everything was fine. sure enough here it is not starting again, just clicking. Can anyone help me solve this mystery??? I don't wont to take it to the chevy dealer again to hand me a 50$ bill and tell me the truck starts fine! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

check the battery cables,i know our deisels at work act crazy sometimes. and it;s usually the cables. just enough corrosion to let acc. work but not start,then try to turn over but no accesories. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    check the battery cables,i know our deisels at work act crazy sometimes. and it;s usually the cables. just enough corrosion to let acc. work but not start,then try to turn over but no accesories. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif <2nds that

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Check the batt cables for corrosion and follow each cable from batt terminal to end. Sometimes a neg cable will fail at engine block or frame mount. If you can check voltage at the starter when it just clicks you'll know whether its getting the required 12v or not. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

connection or starter motor, most likely a connection though, clean them all at battery first and then at the solenoid, try starting after each cleaning, had this problem on a 98 F150, sometimes would not crank, ends of cables nasty green corroded, so.. clean them up and now its all better, they use cheap junk ends on newer vehicles they corrode easy, get some dielectric grease from store and smear it on the ends and stuff,

6. 76_Cheyenne

I've already cleaned, and put diaelectric grease on all the cables coming into the batteries, they were a little corroded, but that hasn't changed anything since the cleaning. I'll check where the cables connect to the frame, starter tommorrow.

7. 76_Cheyenne

Well I checked both ground connections to the engine, but are clean, rechecked the positive battery connections, all are good, checked to the best of my ablity the wires connected to the starter. Looked fine, as far as i could see them. It did it again once today, first time i turned the key nothing but a click, second turn it turned right over. Do you guys think it makes the click because its getting some power but not enough to crank, or its binding up? The starter has only been in their for like 1 month. any other things I should check? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif