Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trucks have personalities

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

We all know this. I guess my 89 K5 likes to get jealous of me working on other trucks. I've been helping rtrotter swap out his borked 305 for a healthy 350 and completely redo his interior. The first night of the motor swap, my right turn signal stopped working. All the bulbs were good, but the front right lamp wouldn't work and the right turn signal indicator was constantly dim. Then, on the second night of work, my blower motor and HVAC controls stopped working.

My truck wasn't too pleased with me giving so much attention to another, so I bought it some presents. Chrome valve covers and air cleaner, and a little bit of elbow grease in the engine compartment to remove the layer of dirt and dust that had accumulated over everything. I R&R'ed the front right turn lamp bulb despite it being good and fixed the turn signal problem. And I think I found my HVAC malfunction in the form of a leaking vaccuum line going to the resevoir.

I think tomorrow I'm going to do a little bit more work in the engine compartment. A few cans of Easy-Off oven cleaner, some POR-15, and black enamel on the firewall and fenderwells should bring it back to life.

Then after that I can start my budget "make truck look good" project :rolleyes:

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Have you checked your grounds?

Whats in store for project budget restore?

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I'm pretty sure it's a vaccuum problem. The HVAC controls are vaccuum operated and I can't hear the vaccuum switches any more. But year, I have one ground that's broke (between the passenger cylinder head and the firewall), but I doubt that's the issue.

I'm replacing my dash and headliner outright, and am going to try to dye/bleach the rest of my interior black and white. Right now the truck is painted white and has a tan interior. I'm trying to go for a two-tone (black and white) and chrome look on the truck. Two tone paint (black on bottom white on top), black rally wheels with chrome beauty rings, re-installing the fender moldings, chrome drip rail moldings and ventshades. The interior trim is getting painted/dyed black with the exception of the metal part of the dash is remaining white; I'm going to try to bleach the center (textured) part of the front and rear seats white and dye the rest black, and do the same for a velour part of the door panels.

I've got a good idea in my head how it should look, and it will look pretty damn good.

Functionality modifications will include 3/4 ton axles, rear disc brakes, new gears, rear locker, rebuilt 700R4, swaybar disconnect, 2.5" lift and 33's.

Assuming everything goes as-planned, the most expensive interior/exterior part will be the dashpad and the headliner. As far as the functionality goes, right now I have a trade lined up for a set of 3/4 ton axles. It's gonna be a while before I have all the parts I need for that stuff.

I reached functionality decision after a lot of thought and compromising. I'd love to have 1-tons, and 38+ boggers, but I have to be realistic with my goals. I just want something that's capable and can look good doing it.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Wow! I wish my camera was working so I could have taken some "before" pics. The engine compartment looks halfway decent now, and I've started dyeing the rear carpet. Black is going to look so much better than tan :D

5. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

You could always borrow mine if you want to. I don't really use it.