Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trucks making noise?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cbolton78, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Cbolton78

Cbolton78 Registered Member

I have a 78 blazer and I just got it back from the transmission shop. Had a full rebuild done. Things have been going good until about 200 miles. The pan has started to leak. But the problem is the front end has started to make noise. At least that is what I think. I had a budy take a look at it while I drove it and he notice that the front drive shaft was spinning. It shouldn't be doing this since I have put the full time to part time conversion kit in the transfere case and manual locking hubs. I got under it and found that the drive shaft did spin freely like it should when it is in park. I also noticed that It did have some side to side play in the slip yoke itself. Indicating that the shaft itself probably needs to be rebuilt. Could this be whats making all the damn noise? Also it only does when I accelerate from a stop and go up hills.

Its going back to the transmission shop tomorrow.

any help would be great

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The shaft can still turn if you install a part-time kit. It's not really being driven, just moving with the flow of other parts in the drive train. As long as you can rotate it freely while it's in "Park", you should be fine.

3. Cbolton78

So do you think that the little side to side play that I am getting from the front drive shaft is what is making the noise, when I start out and accelerate?

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I don't even try to figure out a noise on the forum. I can't hear it, and you won't ever be able to describe it well enough to make up for that. You could disconnect the shaft and see if the noise goes away. If nothing else it would eliminate that component as a source of the problem. I would guess it's something that occurs under load; motor mounts, tranny mount, flex plate bolts, u-joints, fan hitting the shroud, exhaust hitting something... You get the idea, it could be anything and you just need to start eliminating the possibilities until you find the problem. Just remember that the sound can travel up things like the driveshaft, frame, exhaust, etc.

5. Cbolton78

Thanks. I plan to take the front drive shaft out tomorrow and I have to replace the ujoint that I just put in the rear so tomorrow is going to be a busy day

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a plan. Let us know what you find.

7. Cbolton78

Lost my third ujoint of the week. Finely got fed up and called Tom Woods. Replaced the rear transfere case yoke and had them check the integrity of my rear driveline. Everything went good. Got everything back together last night and its running good and not making any noise at all. Going to pull the front driveline because it needs to still be extended. My dads a machinist so when I head home this next weekend to Oregon I am going to have him do it. He will probably have to order and new slip sleeve and splined shaft because there seems to be a little to much play in mine..

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh its virtually impossible to see/hear what it is without being there looking, because it could be anything
    but if you find something obviously worn/sloppy/damaged

then thats a good place to start, for sure

good luck :D