Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trucks over 10,000 pounds GVW?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Oct 13, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

The lift laws in my state have changed a lot recently and my Blazer will never be legal again. I'll really miss driving it on the street so I'm looking for a way to alter it and make it legal again. There is a loop hole in the system that says anything over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight is exempt from the emissions and lift laws. I'm looking for cab's that would be interesting on my Blazer chassis in place of the original tub. I'll be searching the scrap yards and the local papers for wrecked trucks with salvage titles this fall/winter/spring. Give me some suggestions and maybe some pics please. Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

??????what chu mean willis?

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i see alot of question marks being replied here,LOL
    ????????????
    10K way?

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Any C50 or bigger cab should work. They had a different mounting system for tying the cab into the frame, but I believe the cab itself is the same. Find an old grain truck somewhere and take some measuremements. If this is legal is another question you need to be asking though. Sure, the cab and registration will show a high GVWR truck, but any cop with half a brain will know thats not what it started life out as. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but any cop with half a brain will know thats not what it started life out as. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Not to mention I have never met a cop who cared about your interpretation of them.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1 ton DRW is 10k

"over 10k" only offers you the C3500HD as far as I know, that's 15k. And, of course, bigger trucks.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Get a Top Kick cab. They came on dump trucks, cotton module haulers, water tankers, wreckers, and a whole lot more. They look kewl.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

They did make 11k "1 tons", I had one built into a car hauler years ago.

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

that's what i was thinking,a 1 ton drw.that SHOULD do it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    that's what i was thinking,a 1 ton drw.that SHOULD do it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Not "over" 10k GVWR.

I am assuming that he's talking about GVWR anyway, because for us to guess which truck's GVW literally exceeded 10k lbs we really wouldn't know.

If the requirements really say GVW, all you have to tell them is that your truck weighs 12k lbs and they'd probably never varify it.

I suspect that what the plate is on the bumper is probably what matters more than the actual rating of the vehicle. Lots of people put class D plates on their trucks in Illinois. If you do, it requires inspection every 6 months, and they're $180 a year, but no lift laws exist if you've got those plates.

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ohio is like that.Tell them the G.V.W is 10,200, pay the 150.00 fee and now no lift laws or emmissions testing.

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

here in mich if your GVW is over 11,000 lbs and you pull a trailer for comercial use(roofing, siding,etc) you have to get a comercial drivers license??and tag it for 24,000 or more. most new crew cab duallys are over 11.000 lbs on the door tag. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

can u get more information on the new law?, i heard something about it and i am curious

14. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    can u get more information on the new law?, i heard something about it and i am curious

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know the new limit is 2" lifted or lowered height for everything under 10,000 pounds. 1983 should still be the cut off for emissions testing. This state sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

15. TruckNutzDude

I'm asking for pictures or descriptions of anything that would look good as a replacement for my Blazer tub with a vehicle weight over 10,000 pounds. I need to pass some kind of inspection so I can legally drive to and from trails in my state. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

Although I'm sure this won't work, but my suggestion to you would be to lift your roof off (if it has a removable roof) take out the back seat and plead your case (this is of course assuming you have 1ton running gear under your Blazer as well, I mean why else would someone put heavy duty running gear on?).
    I'm positive all 1ton duallies have 10K+ GVWs, so you could throw a 1ton body on there or like others have said a Kodiak (Chev) or Topkick (GMC).
    [​IMG]

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Duallies have a 10k lb GVWR.

Get a trailer.

18. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Yup, Mass sucks for lifted trucks. I drove back this summer...got pulled over 3 times in the first ten days I was there! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif (I still had mass plates) I quickly registered my truck in NH /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif and didn't get pulled over again for the rest of the summer.

-My truck is now registered in Colorado /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats the cheapest way out--find a friend in a not so anti-lifted truck state,and use his adress to register it!.A lot of people here dont live in NH,but they have NH plates--some claim their summer camp as a residence,and get away with it legally--the rest just "invent"an adress or use a P.O. box--MA has been whining for years about all theese people by-passing the RMV here and all the $$$ they are losing,but they have only a few people on their staff to investigate this fraud,very few ever get caught or prosecuted--seems like only suckers play by the rules!. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

here in BC Canada it is easy to change GVW to over 5000kg (1100lbs)to avoid emisions testing
    you simply tell the registration/insurance broker that you want to change GVW to 5100kg (11220lbs)
    your regi and insurance costs increase a bit
    I bet it isn't any different there
    pick a wieght that is below the scalehouse requirement