Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TRUCKS VS BLAZERS ARGUMENT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Nov 28, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I like my k5 ok,... but, if you were to put lets say,.... a 75 blazer , next to a 75 truck, with the same running gear, (14ff d60 etc) same lifts and gears ,same everything down the line.....wouldnt the trucks frame flex better? EVEN IF IT WAS A K30 TRUCK?? Being that its not connected to the cab , and the blazer is? I would think the truck would be better ,and allow everything to flex better................ because= #1 WAY less weight,.....#2 WAY more flex due to frame/cab seperate. Those are the only advantages i can see as of right now, but i thought id post something up to find out what you guys feel on this. And im just talking about reg old blazers, and trucks , no buggeis, 4 link etc.,,or tubular stuff running epilepticly off the handle. So...lets hear what you have to say, GO /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also, mabey i am totally wrong on this whole idea,but could too much frame flex HURT the vehicles capabilitys in an off road situation? Mabey the stiffer the better? LETS HEAR IT!!!!!!! BLAZERS VS TRUCKS!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i have never thought of frame flex being something to brag about. that is what a suspension should do.

i am a pickup fan mainly because of the room there is to haul stuff in the bed.

nobody can bash pickups too much, if it werent for them, there would be no D60s

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Frame flex is only OK to a point. Each time it flex's is considered a cycle, and each cycle brings the frame nearer to failure at some point in it's construction. Honestly I'd rather have no frame flex at all and let the suspension do it all.

With the top off I'd say a K5 and a pick-up are about even for weight. Mostly it comes down to passenger capability versus load carrying ability IMO. If you don't wheel with your kids but do need to haul crap go with the pick-up. If the reverse is true then go K5.

The K5 does have a much better departure angle and will be more nimble in tight quarters than a pick-up (long bed anyways).

Rene

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The K5 does have a much better departure angle and will be more nimble in tight quarters than a pick-up (long bed anyways).
    Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    not only that but the truck your talking about is most likly going to be a long bed, wich will make it alot harder on the thighter trails. plus a blazer keeps your stuff dry and lets more people ride with you

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

No, just in genral. Im just generaly speaking. Not the m1008 necesarily,just a broad range.

7. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

I've wheeled with both and like the blazer more because of the short wheel base,I get around in the woods so much better. Besides they look alot cooler with a roll cage and top off!

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

So far the blazer is one up on the truck,because of the departure angle. The aproach angle on both the blazer/truck is the same????

9. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Not....Blazer wheelbase is at 106.5in. I think the shorty pu is around 6in. longer? I can't remember,hey one of you guys go out and measure your shorty....lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Im wondering also, how much longer is a shortbed? Opossed to the blazers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Wheelbases for 73-91:

Blazer 106.5"
    Shortbed PU 117.5"
    Suburban 129.5"
    Longbed PU 131.5"
    Crewcab 164.5"

Shortbed therefore has about a foot on the Blazer; though the "bed" of the Blazer is ~6', the cab-to-bed junction on the Blazer is obviously shorter as the "cab" section opens directly into the "bed."

And don't go on about deparature angles until you've driven a crewcab. That bloody thing is huge! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    -- A

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Oh ,damn. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif This is probobly really crunchy old news to everyone else, but its new to me. And bobbing the bed i was told was a PITA to do it right. So thats out. This isnt a whos truck can beat up whos post /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif,,, i just want to see what weaknesses the truck /blazers have over eachother. Side by side /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif to /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

13. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Flex is for your suspension, not your frame! Frame flex is the reason engine mounts and crossmembers crack.

Blazer frames are notoriously flexy, the reason why I plan to swap a K30 frame under my rig next season.

Look at that picture, then imagine if you saw the truck do the same thing, but the box remained straight, that's how it should be!

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Go to Blazer Bash next year and go out with a few guys. You'll get to see places where a pick-up will make a K5 look stooopid and vicy-vercy. Double Whammy is a great obstacle for that, one of those obstacles where wheelbase helps a ton. I watched Ducttape idle up like it was a speedbump, right after FWP failed the thrid attempt and smashed a bedside.

Sometimes longer is better, sometimes not.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Im not saying anything more in defense to a pick up /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif .........as it seems like a losing batlle. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Im the only one saying anything about picks ups. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I like being able to sleep in the back of my k5. Some trucks also have the saddle tanks instead of the rear tank. Not sure if all do? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The main reason I prefer pick-up trucks to Blazers is because they come from the factory with heavier duty drive trains then a Blazer does...despite the argument for a highly modified 1-ton blazer exception in this thread.

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like being able to sleep in the back of my k5. Some trucks also have the saddle tanks instead of the rear tank. Not sure if all do? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ] This is true, but, put a camper on , problem solved.MORE room even. Then calculate all the lifting the camper on and off all the time too. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The main reason I prefer pick-up trucks to Blazers is because they come from the factory with heavier duty drive trains then a Blazer does...despite the argument for a highly modified 1-ton blazer exception in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ] Nope , no expeption, fire away.Were talking apples to apples /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif BTW, you bring a good point to the table, it seems alot less work to just leave the axles on the truck.Instead of having to go through all that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/672000-672999/672792_13_full.jpg Lets take this one, look at that.That just completely mad . Its giving him an anvantage,no? I see some really flex out good,like this, and some not so much. This still dosent cover the weight issue. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If my truck was doing that I would be working night and day to fix it. You DO NOT want frame flex.