Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trucks! , Xtreme4x4 , MuscleCar.... Tools and Techniques Thread:

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Greg72, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't know how many other people watch these shows the way I do.... I set the DVR to record every one of them and watch for any little tricks or tips in the way they fabricate. I also look at the specialty tools they use and take a lot of notes on everything.

I have gotten links to fastener companies (Like Gr-8 stainless bolts)....abrasives companies, plating companies, etc.

I am even putting up with the gangsta on MuscleCar so I can learn from the quieter host (who worked at RadRides by Troy)...it turns out he has some mad skills when it comes to bodywork, panel alignment and panel-to-panel finishing.... They talked about a product called "All Metal", sort of like bondo, but with better strength for use near door edges and areas where plastic filler might simply chip off. I liked his demonstration of using a flexible metal ruler to show panel variations and how to look for low spots, etc.

For tools, I saw Ian & Jesse using some sort of tubing notcher that used an abrasive belt with a small lever handle and clamp that allowed them to feed an unnotched tube against the belt at whatever angle they wanted for a perfect notch! I've checked their site, but no mention of that tool yet.

So... has anyone else learned a cool technique from these shows (or found a new tool that they can't live without?) :D

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

the belt notcher is not a very good notcher. the belts wear relatively fast. we have a tool post Dynabrade belt sander that is just like there notcher. when we have used it so sand shafts the belts wear out in just a few inches of sanding. I know notching a piece of tube is a bit less as far as constant contact with the part vs. a shaft but it still will wear quick. serrated roughing endmill is best I think, but the equipment is a fortune, then maybe chopsaw method which I have never tried but herd good things about, then hole saw notchers which I have and mine works great. just my .02 cents.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Slightly O/T:
    Didn't KidJethro get canned from a previous employer some time ago, for posting pics of their tube notcher that fit that description?

I've seen some stuff (when I managed to catch the shows) that looked worthy of further investigation, but it usually ended up being beyond my means... so I've stopped teasing myself.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I learned from them very early on that pneumatic tools are awesome.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

well it wasent the notcher so much as the pipe that was being built