Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

True duals or catback for 305

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Oct 3, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Im looking int he summit mag and alot of the exhuast such as froce 2 and stuff are made for 350's can they fit on 305's??
    Im looking for a catback system or maybe true duals...can anyone help ie... gimme a webaddress company etc? Thanks.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208, 4.11's coming soon.
    Kn filter

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A cat back for a 305 and 350 are identical. They're basically the same engine.

I have a Dynomax true dual kit. I wouldn't have it any other way. It costs about $110, just add two of your favorite mufflers. I got mine from Jeg's High Performance.

If you have emissions, you probably won't be able to have true duals (depends on if they have visual inspection or not).

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

To my knowledge there is no emmisions testing here in south texas... as in hooking up to machines and running at dif rpm to see how much pollution you put out. You think it would improve MPG a lil if i run dynomax true duals with 2 dynomax mufflers opposed to like a catback from flowmater?

Kn filter

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You may not have emmisions, but you have Safety Sticker, and the rules are the exhuste must be O.E.M.
    They may not enforce the rules in S. Texas, but they can.
    Good luck

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

So you think i should just get a catback ? Just incase some assholes at inspection decide to screw me over? =D

Kn filter

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Its up to you ? I just wanted you to know the Law. You know knowalge is Power, what you do with it is up to you !
    Good luck

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't have any problems. We don't have safety inspections though.

Executioner likes to tell people it's illegal to remove your cat. It's not. It's illegal for a mechanic in a shop to remove it if it functions.

We don't have emissions here, so they can't do squat to me. If they don't do visual inspections or smog tests, run true duals and you'll get a better sound and better performance. The choice is up to you.

Tim

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Umm, thinkyou better do some more research. Federal law is all encompassing. I'll quote for you.

"Question 1.

Under what conditions or circumstances can a catalytic converter be removed from a vehicle and a converter replacement pipe be installed?
    Answer 1.
    Under Federal Law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with converter replacement pipes by any person. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing converter replacement pipes on their own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section 203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act). "

You wanna read the whole thing, go ahead. http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wrote out a long reply but I deleted it. I will say that I was un-informed. Now I'm more informed about emissions.

Funny thing is that I still don't care. Not even the slightest bit more than I did before I read that crap. I can't get the sound I want with a cat., so I'm glad my truck never came with one. And furthermore, since it didn't come with one, I wasn't going to put one on it.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 10/04/01 10:43 PM.</FONT></P>

10. dyeager535

Hey I'm not all about doing what the government says. They are ALL messed up when it comes to emissions. Like I said, ADDING cats, even if you do the work to make sure they get hot enough, is illegal. They want air quality to get better, and to do that they prohibit you from adding cats?

The only thing I was pointing out was that it is illegal to remove or add cats. My point being that if you get visualed, you WILL get screwed.

Now, neither my car nor truck have cats, AIR, or, at this time, EGR. My state can't do visuals (wow!) but they do sniffer. Still don't have the 4wd dyno, so trucks just get revved up. With all that stuff missing, and an extremely old, burns-oil-when-you-rev-it 305, I STILL passed. I'm pretty certain the car would fail dyno though, as would the truck.

The people that are stuck in states like CA and NJ are the ones that are stuck. Most every mod is illegal, and will get you in trouble.

And those of you that rip stuff off now, you should think about holding onto it. Guy in CANADA (home of little emissions) got pulled over and a $500 fine for having modified emissions equipment on his vehicle. What with the emissions sniffers along the freeway on ramps now in some locations (they test your car without your consent, snap picture of vehicle, you get notice in mail to get the vehicle emissions checked) there is bound to be more and more similar things happening.

I just want people to know what kind of headaches they MAY be getting themselves into, before they rip all the emissions stuff off their vehicles.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When I got mine, it was missing many of the emissions controls, and all of them were not functioning if they were there. So it was pretty much obvious, either buy all that crap new or do without. I chose the latter.

Nowhere in Illinois has visuals, but some places have sniffer. I GUARENTEE that my truck could pass without cats. The engine has 3,000 miles on it and is tuned correctly. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that I'd pass without a problem. My friend's '79 Z28 with a worn out motor almost did. If the carb was jetted properly, he'd have passed. It was that close.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 10/05/01 02:37 PM.</FONT></P>

12. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Dorian,

Great post. I read the rest of the regulations. Based upon what I read, there a great deal of illegal vehicles running around on and off the road. Everyone needs to read the following:

Question 2.
    Can I remove a converter from a vehicle that is used only for "off-road" driving?
    Answer 2.
    No. The tampering prohibition discussed in Answer 1 applies to this situation as well. The federal tampering prohibition pertains to "motor vehicles," which are defined by section 216

(2) of the Act as "any self-propelled vehicle designed for transporting persons or property on a street or highway. A light-duty vehicle manufacturer certifies en engine-chassis configuration as meeting the applicable emissions standards for motor vehicles manufactured in a given model year, and it is not legal for anyone to "de-certify" a motor vehicle for "off-road" use.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

13. dyeager535

I agree..if I didn't have to worry about it, and the stuff was already gone or inoperative, I wouldn't replace it either. If the government wants it on there so bad, either they or the vehicle manufacturer should warrant it for the life of the vehicle. That stuff is insanely expensive (AIR and what not) at least through GM (as most everything is) and I'd like to know what happens 5-10 years down the road when you can't get it anymore. Maybe by then there will be enough of a niche to produce it, but its going to be just as expensive then I think.

I agree on passing the sniffer, but the Dyno test will really kill anyone without emissions I think. Revving it up in park (part of the sniffer test here) is on an unloaded engine. Much different than turning big tires on a treadmill. I didn't even know that had 4wd dyno's, but apparently some states are so intent on screwing the minority of older 4wd vehicles, they figured it was worth it.

I know the alcohol trick will work, but there comes a point (12:1 compression, .550 lift cam) that no matter what you do, you won't pass, catalytic converter or not. : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

14. dyeager535

Yes, I couldn't believe that. But the only way I am even getting my cars exhaust done with no cat is to have a friends friend do it! Everyone I talked to wouldn't touch it, even if I stripped the interior and called it a drag car.

Dorian

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can buy dual kits for most anything nowadays, but if you've got a real hot motor, you'll need bigger pipe than they usually come with. If that was the case, I'd piece together an exhaust with mandrel bends, pipe, and a MIG welder.

I am pretty sure once this stuff gets a little older, emissions on a vehicle of this age won't be required, no matter where you are. If I had to have a smog legal vehicle that was 15+ years old, I'd sell it.

My friend's Camaro nearly passed the dyno test, that's what I was talking about. I KNOW that mine would pass the same test easily.

Tim