Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

True Duals w/ Headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jul 3, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about scraping my whole exhaust system. Geting some cheaper headers, then go get some true duals put on my truck. I talked to the exhaust guy today, he said if I bolt the headers on he will do all the pipe work, 2 Catco cats, and 2 40 series flowmasters for $500. Does this sound good? Will this really help my truck in the HP power a ton? I have a 40 series now, but it is really quiet b/c of the stock cat. I was going to have the cat replaced, headers put on, and I would also need new pipes from the muffler back b/c I cut them for my shackle flip. I think instead of replacing all this stuff I might just scrap the whole system. What you guys think? That sound like a good price? What would be a good size pipe to run? Anything else I should tell him? Anyone got some cheaper header recommendations? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like a good deal to me! Without cats I think my dad had duals put on his truck for about $250, and adding cats and mufflers into it (good ones like you mention) would bring the cost up to about $500. Around here no one will mess with your exhaust whatsoever, except to replace it EXACTLY as stock. No ifs ands or buts...

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

3. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, sounds good. Mine cost me $560 for the same set up.

That's because I'm the devil.

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Was the setup worth the money? Did it help your truck alot? How does it sound? Are you running headers if so which ones?

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am happy with the sound and power of mine. I bought the summit headers for like $79, two summit turbo mufflers for $15 a piece and the dynomax pipes from jegs for $109. The were a little off and I had to have them bent a little more which was an extra $70. GET AN EQUALIZER!! and I dont mean for your stereo. I have bad resonation frequencies that want to shake my fillings out when I am at idle. That combined with a K&N filter and I Can tell a big difference.
    Brent

6. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

yikes, Im glad I got my own pipe bender, and with the headers, Ive had both, I prefer the older stock manifolds, they are alot tougher, wont break with flexing, and are pretty free flowing, as for someone being able to notice the tiny difference in power that they actually do provide, well everybodys a better judge than me. I have had cheapo headers and expensive headers, they last five years and crap out. So I went back to the stockers, havent broke one yet,and I run custom bent 3" pipe with 3" high flow Eliminators and it sounds just as good now as it did before. Contrary to popular belief, the bigger the pipe the more the horsepower, it actually does little for low end grunt, a small carb small tube exhaust will produce more torque than 3" exhaust will any day.

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.
    When in doubt,,, put'er to the wood
    hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html

7. GUMBY

GUMBY Registered Member

I have an 88 blazer as well and I ran new from the headers back to the tailpipe. Do you have a throttle body or a carb? If it's a throttle body, then you'll have to consider the oxygen sensor. I kept a single pipe system like stock but increased the pipe size to 3" and had them put the oxygen sensor fitting in the collector of the driver's side like original. JEGS sells the sensor fitting. I've been told that computers will not work with a dual setup because it confuses the computer with dual sensors. Anyway, I went with Hooker headers, a high flow cat., a two chamber flowmaster and three inch pipe from the cat back to the tailpipe. It's sounds sweet but it's alot louder at highway speeds. Since your profile says you live in NC, I know they have vehicle inspections and you'll need to order your headers with air pump fittings to hook your smog system back up if you need to pass emissions. As far as power increases go, if you still have the stock 350, going with a larger single pipe or 2" duals you'll not tell a huge difference. You'll accelerate quicker and the engine flows easier at higher speeds. It was still worth it though.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't waste $500. I've got the Dynomax Jet-Hot coated headers which are guarenteed forever not to rust or chip,(they did, however, and I'm sending them back to Jet-Hot one of these days for a free re-coating) 2 1/4" pipe with 12" long glass pack mufflers, and the dual kit from Jeg's for $110. That's about $350 with expensive headers. Add $30 for the crossover and $80 or so more for Flows if you like that sound. You're better off that way, cheaper. Easy to install too, took me less than an hour to run the pipes.

Ditch the cat. Dual cats aren't effective at reducing emissions anyway and are probably illegal. Removing a functioning catalytic converter in a shop IS illegal, but at home there's no federal law against it. Mine hasn't had one longer than I've owned it. Dual exhaust is far superior than any single exhaust, even if it's 3".

Contrary to popular belief, cats don't restrict your exhaust that much if they're of the right type (like the Vortec motors use). They're just added expense though.

Plus, I know a place that will give you $50 for a bead type converter. Trade it in!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I did notice a difference but, when I got the thing it had headers (I don't know what kind they are), no catalytic converter and a cherry bomb, so it was not as big a difference as you are likely to see. I had to put the catalytic converter(s) on for smog and they wanted something like $350 just to put one cat in the set up I had, so i think it was worth it. And it sounds better now than with the cherry bomb

10. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, one more thing. If I could do it again, I think I would do what 85Mouse or 84_Chevy_K10 did and save some money (except I'm supposed to have the cats for smog). Since I got the thing I've been doing a lot more of my own work on it.

11. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

i had a similar setup to what your talking about getting and i would recomend using an h-pipe( a pipe the connects the to duels) to help with the sound 'cause w/o it the exhaust resonates which makes them incredably loud and supposidly the h-pipe helps w/ free up a few more horses

12. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Man, the best/cheapest thing to do is, keep the stock manifold, get a new cat, and forget the muffler. And keep stock length on the pipe.
    It purs like a kitten at idle and sounds nice and grunty when on the gas.

When in doubt.....Use the Saws-all[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, the cheapest way is to buy a manifold dual kit. A 3" system with a new cat would be $200-$300. A manifold dual kit is $100, plus the mufflers and cats if you need them.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

14. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

Mine passed the emmisions without the cats. (the second time) All it needed was a little carb adjustment.

'85 Blazer... 9" lift... 35-12.50 BFG AT's...LOTS of rust

15. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Where is this home ? Is it in the U.S.A.
    FYI your legal opinion is B.S.
    And if I find out it is intensinal, you can run, but not hide.

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have Ceramic Flowtech headers, 2 1/2" to Hiflo cats, to Dynomax mufflers, and 2 1/2" pipes...no crossover because I like the way duals sound.....I have no resonance issues either at idle or on the gas...and it sounds good without being annoying.....I can listen to the stereo without really cranking either with the windows up or down.....Flowmasters are a little loud for my taste.......the Cats, mufflers and pipes from the collector back cost me $500....they headers were like $275...they fit well, only one leak in 2 years, I can get to the plugs, and the coating is holding up very well...I'd do the same set up again if I had to.....there was a noticeable difference with the KN filter and exhaust (did 'em both at the same time)...the thing just breathes better, and my mileage went up 2 mpg.....get the O2 bung on the drivers side like stock, and in Texas I'm legal.....this is just what works for me.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

17. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I got hooker super comp headers with true duals (took of the cats and have no emis) with flow master 40's. it is too load for my tastes, but man it was a HUGE performance increase!

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]