Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

True duals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Sep 12, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I know this has been discussed a million times in here, but would it be better to get true duals on my exhaust? I was going to rerouts it because I have a deep tranny pan and the exhaust pipe is in the way so it takes forever to get it on. I was going to get it rorouted, but while Im at it should I just get true duals? Does it add any performance or sound better? I know it will cost me more, but I'm getting as hi-perf cat and while the guy is down there, I thought I might as well fix this too. Any suggesstions?

90K5

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have dual 2.5" with an H-Pipe, two Flowmaster 40 series and Flowtech Afterburner headers. The pipes exit behind the rear tires. All I can say is it sounds great and has MUCH MORE power than before. I'm very happy with it.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

So what are "true duals".

I would have assumed that would be separate exhaust from the headers to the tailpipes. But I see you mention a "Cat". I understand you can't really run two cats well. So, are you talking true duals from the cat back?

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

4. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I have a friend who put a "true dual" on an '88. He ran two cats. He ran the pipes on either side of the tranny and up over the axle, exiting out each corner (at an angle). Bending the pipes was the hardest/longest part of the job. He says he has much more power than the old stock exhaust. This is something I want to do too. Let us know how it works if you do it (and how much $$$).

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a dual exhaust isn't two pipes coming out of a muffler. Thats a dual tailpipe!

5. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I have two pipes run separate from front to back. I have two 'cats', two glasspacks and it works fine. I ended up with more power and better gas mileage (1 or 2 mpg) It sounds really good, and is really loud. It kinda sucked though cuz the cats were $100 a piece so that kinda bumped up the price. I love it though. [​IMG]

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

7. pregate

pregate Registered Member

didnt any of you guys have emissions problems when adding the less restrictive cats?

as is.. my requirements are 6.0 and 600ppm
    and im running
    low speed - 4.56 and 550ppm
    high speed - 0.9 and 127ppm
    passes like new, high speeds, but barely making it in low..
    i wanted to add a true dual
    but its pointless if i cant get a less restrictive cat, wont be worht the cash for the minor improvements..

1979 K5 Blazer
    4x4, 350 V8

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    If you are really run 4.56% CO at low(idel) and have a cat. something is grossly wrong.
    An engine in proper tune, and short of a big cam, should be at least half of that 4.56% CO, running with a cat.
    If no cat. then maybe 1% more.
    Your #'s are not complete, but from what youve posted it looks to be running very rich at low(idel)

Most emmisions inspectors look for a cat. if they see two they don't usually know whats going on, and
    think if one is good two is better, how hamy times have you heard of someone failing for an extra cat ?

Please get that idel looked at your polloetting the air.
    Thanks alot

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

FWIW: Running two restrictive cats is better than running one.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700