Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

True height of BFG MT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    What is the actual height of a 33x12.5 and 35x12.5 BFG MT at nominal pressure?

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My old 33" BFG MT's were a shade over 31" true hieght at street pressure, mounted on 15x10.s. They had about 60% left on them when i measured. When new they might approach 32" true height...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

BF Goodrich says their 35x12.50s are 34.7" tall and that their 33x12.50s are 33.9" tall.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

It really depends on the wieght of the vehicle and the rim you use. The lighter the vehicle the taller. The wider the wheel the shorter.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

My 33 12.50 on 15x10 wheels at 35 psi are measuring at 32" inches!!!

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. tRustyK5

Well Tim...how about relaying some personal experience instead of spouting what "So and So said" or did. BFG is lying by publishing those numbers...I measured my 60 % left BFG off of the truck and got 31 1/4" on the recomended rim at the recomended pressure.

Interco is prolly the most accurate as far as published tire sizes versus reality...My almost bald 36" TSL's are still 35 1/4" tall. add the amount of tread worn off and 36.3" new is pretty damn close!

What would you expect BF goodrich to say? They will never admit how far off the true diameters really are.

Rene

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    OK kids now everyone play nice now
    I already had already checked out the BFG site and realized they were fibbing a bit. So we will say 33's are really about 32...anyone have more info on 35x12.5's?

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Rene,

No problem. I'll measure mine as soon as I can. I went looking for my tape measure just for you but I couldn't find it.

My fronts are on 15x8s, rears on 15x10s, and they're 35x12.50s. I have to convert my front back to 8 lug. I didn't have any good 8 lug rotors so I left it 6 lug for a little while.

<a target="_blank" href=http://mavericktim.freeyellow.com/wholetruck1.jpg>And here's all the personal experience I need right here.
    </a>

Works now!!!!

Tim

9. tRustyK5

All yer personal experience says that the page is unavailable...kinda ironic actually[​IMG]

I do enjoy bugging you a bit Tim...I hope you realize its all in fun.

Rene

10. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

My 35's are 34 3/8 at 32psi on 10" wheels

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When they were new my BFGs measured just under 34 3/4". 35x12.50-R15 on a 15x8 @ 35 psi. BTW if you mount them on a 15x10, which is what BFG recomends they will be a lot shorter. My #2 spare (on a 15x10) is is visible shorter than the other 5 (on 15x8s)

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think it just looks shorter. I'm pretty sure the actual heights are pretty close.

I don't mind if you bug me. I don't like how you make me seem full of **** all the time though. I might be young but I have been there and done that at least a little with these trucks.

Tim

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So everyone here that is measuring tire diameter has taken two straightedges across the tread 180 degrees apart, with tire/wheel off vehicle, and measured that way? I'm not calling anyone a liar or dumb, but that is the only way you are going to get a semi acurate reading. Even then, wheel width is going to make a difference.

Kind of like tread width as well, it typically seems MUCH less than what the manufacturer claims. Again wheel width will make a difference all else being equal

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

14. tRustyK5

Tim, I'm assuming this is in regards to my post.
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I don't like how you make me seem full of **** all the time though. I might be young but I have been there and done that at least a little with these trucks.

<hr></blockquote>

I don't physically put your foot in your mouth, but glaring contradictions and second hand info i don't have time for. I mean no ill will and its not something personal. We all just want acurate first hand info or experience. Occasionally there seems to be a little too much about what your friends truck did or didn't do. Nobody here including myself knows it all about everything...
    When I quote you I try not to take it out of context or twist it in any way.

Did you measure your tires?

Rene

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, not yet, but as you can see in the picture, my truck wears a set of 35" BFGs. I just never bothered to measure them before.

Tim

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Tire was on the truck, I layed a level across the top and measured from that to the ground. Tire was new, had about 20 mi on it (tire store to my house)

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So thats like 1200 lbs (4800/4) on that tire. It is definitely going to compress some, in that case, I would measure the distance from rim to straightedge on TOP of the tire, then compare that with the rim to ground measurement. I'm betting 1200lbs is going to add at LEAST 1/4" of "squat" to the tire.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen