Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

true? or false?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Jan 15, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

will i get more flex in my rear by unbolting springs, and will it stillride ok down the highway?
    removing sway bar helps flex in front, but how does it track on the highway?
    keep in mind guys i run some big @ss 35/17.50/15 baja belteds on the roads not cause they work good but cause they look good and its great advertisement formy shop
    one more question, where can i get a great set of bushings for my superlift springs and use 1/2 5.5 inch grade 8 bolts? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You can sometimes pick up drooped flex by unbolting the spring pack clamps. Dont fully remove the clamp though or your springs may start fanning out. You can purchase a quick disconnect kit for your front swap bar so you can hook it back up for street driving. Are you sure your spring bolts are 1/2" and not grade 8 9/16" x 4 1/2" with the front shackle hanger taking 1/2"?

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I ran my 76 without any front sway bar. I didn't have the spacer to reinstall it after the lift, so I left it off. I gotta tell yeh, I didn't notice any driving problems. I had the 40x17.5 mudders and only a single steering stabilizer. It road smoother than my wifes 87 did! You will most likely have to measure the bushing diameter to find the correct ones. Energy Suspensions and Prothane, both make polyurethane bushing kits. But I would use old fashioned rubber bushings if you can find a set that will fit. Check to see what the stock size is. the rubber busings will allow the spring to twist in the bracket and allow a little more flex.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 75 is a handfull on the street without the sway. it's not even the front where the sway is it's the rear. The front bar still has enough leverage to help with it. I pull a trailer regualry with it. It's a real handfull without the sway. The sway is one of the reasons I haven't done crossover yet. I need to figure out how to keep a sway. Though about a rock away (think that's the name) with disconnects both front and rear. I can mount it up high enough that I can go straight down to the spring plate if I axe the bump stops. They are much softer than the stock but if I run them on both ends it should make it handle the same or better than just the front.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The sway bar is not impacted by tire size, it is impacted by frame and body weight and spring softness (spring rate). If you have pretty stiff suspension, I don't think you'll notice much difference with the swaybar. If you aren't very top heavy, again not much difference. And, since it is a spring that attaches the frame and axle, without it less shock is transferred hence a smoother ride (more float).

My rig is quite top heavy. Without the swaybar, curves on city streets at 40 MPH would get your excitement up. A curve with a dip in the outside of it would REALY get the adrenaline going. But big bumps at street intersections when turning and stuff like that were much smoother as the suspension was able to flex more.

It is really a personal preference thing and how your rig responds. I use the swaybar disconnects and have been pleased. But when the 60 and crossover/hysteer go on next month, they will be in the for sale forum!