Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truetrac in the front- How good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Nov 28, 2005.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I came across a cheap truetrac that I was thinking about putting in the front diff. of my 10 bolt. How good or bad are they?

2. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

im kinda new to all of this, but i dont think any one here would reccomend any traction assist in a 10 bolt..

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

+

I ran one in a D44 front axle. The difference over an open diff off road was incredible and it had great manners compared to a locker. Provided you're not anticipating extreme usage, they are great differentials in my opinion.

4. chasone64

chasone64 Registered Member

I have a trac lok in my front 10 bolt. No problems "yet", just have to remember the right foot can't be too heavy!! :D

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I currently have it welded which was not a problem before because I was mainly doing dirt and sand but lately I have been doing a lot of rocks and the steering sucks and I am getting tired of jumping in and out of the truck doing the old "unlocking/locking front hub routine". I am just trying to figure out if I should go with the truetrac or if I should throw a lockright in there. I run a welded 14 bolt in the rear which I am really happy with and I really like the traction of the welded front and I don't want to loose too much traction going to the truetrac but I also need to be able to steer.
    I only run 35"s and I have gotton pretty good and avoiding breakage now so I am not planning on going to Dana 60, cross over steering $$$$$..... anytime soon.

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I like the truetrac diff, it offers great traction without the bad habits of a locker, you have to beat on your truck pretty hard to notice its not a locker

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From the articles I've read, in 4wd the behavior in front is pretty darn good. Not at all like a true locker of course.

Only problem is modulating the brakes for it to grab with a front wheel in the air, but since brake bias is towards the front anyway, a little bit of brake should suffice. Easily done with an auto trans, a bit more difficult with a manual.

8. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I would recommend a posi (eaton is what I have) in your front 10 bolt. It starts off locked, then breaks loose when there is a certain amount of torque differential thereby saving your ujoints, shafts, etc. Works great for me...

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I really like the trutrac also. I had them front/rear in my rig at one point, and they never let me down. Don't even know they are there on-road, easy to turn offroad. If you aren't ready/willing to run a detroit or have the $ for a selectable, a trutrac is probably the next best option.

j

10. TX_GLADIATOR

TX_GLADIATOR Registered Member

my uncle had one after the first run i asked him what do you think?.......... his reply true trac crap....... He ended up breaking that thing in 1/2 at one of our other run's

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Do it. Just keep an extra set of shafts for when you break one.
    BTW... If you do break one, you can still run in 4wd.

12. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I had one up front back when I had 10 bolts. I liked it. Unless a tire was completely off the ground, it seemed to perform really well. I had twin 10 bolts, a detroit out back, a truetrac up front and 35x15.5x15 SX's. Only broke one front axle, and that was due to a u-joint failure (after landing hard from a full throttle wheelie on a steep, rutted section of a powerline road). I was very impressed with my 10-bolts for what they were. Just mind the skinny pedal. The trutrac is a good compromise between steering and traction.