Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

truetrac vs. lockright

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tree_entz, Jul 23, 2004.

1. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

ok, refined my question a bit.
    they're aobut the same price. how about the install???
    sled_dog said the lockright is cake.
    is the truetrac better though??? thoughts please???
    (for front dif 10bolt)

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

True Trac is a full case unit , helical geared no clutches very quiet , only biases torque around 2.5 to 3.5 range . Lockright ( or variants like mine ) will lock up 100 percent , and still work as a diff for corners . Will be noisy in a rear application , but fronts are quieter /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is no comparison between the two. One a limited slip unit (basically a fancy open diff when you're off road) while the other is a locker.

4. pauly383

I just got done saying that ( 2.5 to 3.5 bias , versus 100 percent ) /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just got done saying that ( 2.5 to 3.5 bias , versus 100 percent ) /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious how you figured this without knowing engine power, tiresize, ect.?

Do you mean that with an axle with 100 lb-ft to it, one tire off the ground, the other tire on the ground it will still have 2.5- 3.5 lb-ft to the one on the ground.

Maybe if there is that much resistance to the tire in the air but with no resistance it spinning 100% with no basis to the tire on the ground.

Cones or friction material on plates, it's still friction which can be overcome!

6. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Just curious how you figured this without knowing engine power, tiresize, ect.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple , I looked on their website Tractech Detroit True Trac

So basically if you have 100 ft lbs going to the front diff , with open when one tire goes airborne all 100 ft lbs spin in the air , with the true trac more power will be distributed to the tire that is stuck in a ratio of 2.5 to 3.5 of that 100 ft lbs ( so like 70/30 split ? ), but never ALL of that power . Perhaps I should of been more clear . Oh and the True trac has no clutches , just helical gears /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cones or friction material on plates, it's still friction which can be overcome!

[/ QUOTE ]

The TruTrac has neither since it's a helical gear-based torque biasing design. The bias rate is determined by the design of the differential itself and is not dependent on any other factors. The higher the bias rate in this type of the diff, the "tighter" it is.

If you have one tire off the ground on an axle than it is theoretically receiving zero torque......if there's not torque to one side than it can't "bias" any torque to the other size (zero times zero = zero), and is thus why this diff doesn't do much good with one tire is lifted off the ground. Though riding the brakes a little in this situation really helps (I used to run a TruTrac).