Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truggy builders in TEXAS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reduceabuseandrecycle, Mar 11, 2006.

1. reduceabuseandrecycle

reduceabuseandrecycle Registered Member

I like a simplistic approach to vehicles and musical instruments. I am very interested in the Truggy concept (rock crawlers and mud boggers). I want badly to build one. I would like to hear stories, crazy photos, :confused: advice, and links on building a budget truggy with chevy v8, 2 or 4 wheel drive, daily driver that sees some curb hopping, ditch wallowing, mud bogging, and jeep trail riding. prefer auto tran. Thinking of 80's scottsdale pu or silverado, 1500, etc. What do you suggest. runicwheels@yahoo.com

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I suggest a search.

3. reduceabuseandrecycle

I am thinking about 2wd, 2spd jegs auto, flatbed in back, big mudders in back, cab intact the rest sold off, replaced with exo frame, in the style of baja buggy, light and simple. With a good rear end, should be able to have lots of fun and keep the ac/windows for girlfriend riding along.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

5. afroman006

2 wheel drive trucks are about as usefull as tits on a boar hog :D

6. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was gonna suggest he take a short trip over to Princeton to meet Bubba. I think he could handle it...

7. reduceabuseandrecycle

tits on boar hog

You have to start somewhere! I don't have 30k just sitting around and a garage to put together bunch of stuff. lol. I do like that blue cage truck that you linked me to. Would like to find some wheelers to take me and fiancee 4x4 riding for date entertainment and new friends, sometime this summer.

You can do some pretty clever things with 2wd, and I think you can do a lot to cut weight.

8. afroman006

You can build a bitchin 4x4 trail truck for under $5k very easily. You can even get under $2k if you skimp on parts and are a joo. I seriously think if you build a 2wd you will regret it. You can start with a 2wd truck and convert it to 4x4, thats what I did for my trail truck.

9. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2 Just get an old pickup or blazer. Mind-boggling aftermarket support, it has the engine you want and you can get tons of priceless info about these trucks here.

10. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I thought i was going to solid axle my 95 2wd silverado. I got in way over my head. Think what your going to spend and then add 30-50% ontop of that and youll get your total usually. 2wd you need front axle, transfer case, driveshafts, most upgrade rear axle. best to rebuild axles to make sure they are sound. gears. springs. Mounting. tires. Rims. brakes. You name it you prolly need it. I finally found me a blazer for 500. Put a rebuilt tranny in it and start working my way up from there.

11. reduceabuseandrecycle

re: regret 2wd

12. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ya you will have alot less weight but will also be bypassing all the obstacles. if u worked hard at it and thought it through u can get a k5 well under 4k lbs.
    only thing a 2wd will do good in is the dunes.