Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truggy Builders/Rock Slider Height ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jeff101, Nov 25, 2006.

1. jeff101

jeff101 Registered Member

It's rebuild time,(aka winter). At what height do you guys run your rock sliders? How do you determine height? Is there some formula? My sliders now are 31" off of ground and used regularly. Wanting a boatside look, any advice is greatly appreciated.
    JEFF

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

when I boatsided my buggy I basically made my slider the height as my seat bars. with 40" TLSs I have 41" rockslider height

DSC03401.JPG

3. jeff101

Dude that is a sweet rig. Thanks for the reply, thought I might get skunked there for a while. I worried about it being a big pain in the a** getting in and out of mine.
    Jeff

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just jump off the front tire then in, kinda a chore but not too bad. I have a removeable steering wheel to put on it too from an old roundy-round race truck which should make it alot easier. I'm not sure what I am going to do with that chassis now, I took the drivetrain from it and put in my 71 k5 for more of an expedition trail rig since I do more of that then hardcore stuff that I built this for.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know exactly what my slider height is, but bottom of frame is around 24" and I would guess the bottom of the sliders is 5-6" higher than that. I'm 6'5" tall and I really couldn't imagine climbing in and out of the rig comfortably if they're any higher than that.

[​IMG]

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

exactly what I did... figured out where I wanted the seats... put the sliders just outside of them and just below the seat mounting tabs. Slider is just over 40" off the ground now, but that is with 35s... 39.5s are my real tires.

j

7. jeff101

Thanx for your input guys,I forgot to take in consideration the seat mounts, this helped me out.
    Thanks mucho:bow:
    Later JEFF

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You want your sliders as high as you can get them pretty much. The higher they are the better it will preform.

Harley

9. jekbrown

one other thing to consider: how your rig is going to be used. Rock buggies are hella low... mud rigs are hella high... trail rigs are everywhere in between. Based on all the pics of other truggys I have seen here on ck5, mine is probably going to be an inch or 2 taller than normal... its all good though. If I ever hit some deep ass water or mud, I might appreciate every inch that I can get!

Just something to think about. btw... wasn't your rig in a mag? looks familiar. Pretty sweet taper/bob from what I remember... why are you getting rid of all the sheetmetal? I only ask because I skipped the narrowed/bobbed phase and went straight to tube. ;)

j

10. jeff101

This blazer changes from year to year it seems. It seems that the challenge of rougher terrain interests me more and more every year so I need to modify to handle it better.I am in the process of boatsiding, new alum. floor and firewall, flatter belly and gauge panel raised center hump. But will be keeping fender skins and a way shrunk down bowtie checker board grill. The blazer did feature in Four Wheeler DEC. 2004.[​IMG]
    Thanx for your input,later[​IMG]
    JEFF

11. jekbrown

update: 44s are my "real tires" now. rockers 4' off the ground = the shizzle.

j

12. mikey_d05

How the hell do you guys get into your rigs? I'm 6'5" tall and getting into mine is gonna be a PITA.

13. jekbrown

same way I did with 39.5s...

1. step inside drivers/rear wheel...grasp tube
    2. then step on top of tire, pulling yourself up by tube
    3. step from there to the rocker...
    4. work your way along the rocker until you can climb into the cockpit.

at one point when I still had a full body I did something similar, but I just stepped into the bed and went between the front seats to sit down. In any case, its definitely not as easy as getting into a stock K5... but, sacrifices must be made! :)

j

14. mikey_d05

I'll have to work on that technique. As it stands I've ripped three pairs of jeans getting into and out of it fitting the door bars up, and not because of my weight. :doah:

15. jekbrown

yikes dude... get rid of the butt-hugger Wranglers you wear to "country night" at the local bar and get yourself some baggy carhartt bibs to wear when wheelin'. ;) :thumb: :)

j

16. mikey_d05

I don't own a set of nut huggers, I just step straight from the floor onto the slider, grap the a-pillar bar and pull myself up and in. The Carhartt bibs do fine, it's the pants that keep ripping. :p: