Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truggy Project Begins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gm500hprat, Jul 24, 2006.

1. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

I just purchased X-chassis # 34 from Mike and Hendrix. It's being ordered with no internal tubing. I want the dovetailed Buggy look in the rear. Im going to weld it too a full size frame. Im sure Im going to get lots of crap about it from people asking why this or why that. It's what I want, what I can afford and what I have to work with. Im looking forward to the long hours.

My Donor is my 76 gmc 3/4 ton pickup. It has a 500hp 468 complete crower roller assembly 6200 rpm max power range, th400 with 2800 stall converter, np 205. Front 44 flat knuckle with rear 14 bolt detroit locked. 4.11's. Im going to reuse my rear leafs on the front since they are a softply in the rear they should have good flexability with the heavy big block above it until I have more money to 3 link the front.The rearend of my truck is about 40 % complete in a 4 link project and I have 90% of the hardware needed to complete. I got most of it from John Currie. I used to work there and now i contract with them so hes become a friend now instead of just a boss, his entire family is awesome. Hardware are tabs for axles, HD TJ 4" rear coils and upper and lower buckets and 2.5 johnny joint with 1 1/4 welded stud. BTF bungs and ORD traction bar plates.

My application is going to be mainly sand with a little dezert. Im planning on a 112-115 wheelbase. Because of the 4 link in the rear I can cut off as much frame as I need to make the x-chassis fit. Im going to try and make it a 5 seater. i have 3 kids to twin daughters and finally my boy. Cant forget the wife she is funding this operation. Going to run 49 in front bench and 36 rear.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds fun, keep us updated, wheeling with tube is a whole new world.

3. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

Will start tearing down truck this weekend. 6-8 week build time so i should get it just as it starts too cool down a little, hopefully