Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truggy project has begun (updated pics)

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by Wozdirt, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Wozdirt

Wozdirt Registered Member

Here are a few pics of the new rear frame section. The salty winter road conditions have done some damage to the frame over the years (the front and center portions arent to rusty, but the rear was bad.) I built the frame out of 3"x4"x3/16" square tubing. It seems to be much stronger now. next step is going to be boxing the remainder of the frame and moving the cab back aprox 8". Then I plan to get crazy with a tubing bender and build some sort of exo cage. Let me know what you think. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Truggy Pics

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: Truggy project has begun

linky no worky /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

4. Wozdirt

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

interesting /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I had wondered about taking out my rear section, greafting in some 2x4 inch rectangle and then haveing 1 3/4 tube with another tube stacked on it for mine...but I had give in as time is an issue.

Looks beefy, do you plan to drive it daily?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

-shawn

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

just noticed the picture in link is to a "desktop" /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. Wozdirt

The truck will be mostly off road only. I am going to try to make it legal enough to drive on the street occasionally, but thats not all that important at this point. New Hampshire is pretty strict about having the wheels covered, so I think I am going to try to make some sort of tube fenders for it and tie them into the exo cage. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    3"x4"x3/16" square tubing

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be pretty stout!.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Marv

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

question, is the axel centered at the place it will be once the project is completed?

It just seems a though you would have alot of rear over hang, but I may be wrong, just wondering.

BEEFY /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

also,

check out www.cardomain.com

free pic space and remote linking easy to use and navigate /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-shawn

10. Wozdirt

[ QUOTE ]
    question, is the axel centered at the place it will be once the project is completed?
    It just seems a though you would have alot of rear over hang, but I may be wrong, just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ] The axle is in the correct location for now. I am going to stick with the leaf spring setup four a while, so I had to make the frame long enough to mount the spring shackle to it. It may look long due to the skyjacker 56" springs sticking a bit further back than stock 52" I am planning ditching the stock tension shackle in favor of a compression or possibly a springer (AK-57) style setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have greasable shackles on the way from ORD. I will get some pics up when the are done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Ray

11. Wozdirt

Re: Truggy project has begun (Update-Pics)

Well, I have been busy spending as much time on my truck as possible. I got the middle of the frame boxed, painted the cab, and started the Exo-cage.
    You'll have you click the link to see the pics. Their is a bunch of them on two pages.

Give me some feedback and let me know what you think. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Truggy pics

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

WOW! that looks soo awesome! What size of tires were those that you used to get inside the shop?
    Very nice exo-cage /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. Wozdirt

Thanks 84.

The little tires are 205/50R16s on factory 16x6 steel wheels. The main hoop clears the the door by about two inches with the little tires. (N.F.W. it will clear with the 44"s) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm really happy with the way the cage is coming along so far. I'll post up more pics as I get the front portion and the tube fenders built... /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looking good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Spray a little WD-40 on the tube when bending it, makes it a little easier and you reduce the risk of binding or breaking a bender arm; ask me how I know. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay thanks.
    Make sure you take more progress pics as you move on. I really like the looks of how its coming together /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You guys are CRAZY trying to bend what looks like 2" DOM with the "factory supplied" handle.... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I used that for about 2 bends before I realized that by gently radiusing the bender tongue, I could slip an 8-Foot long piece of 2" tubing on there instead!!!!

You do a lot more walking around the bender, but the effort to actually PULL for your bends will be a lot easier...... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Wozdirt

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys are CRAZY trying to bend what looks like 2" DOM with the "factory supplied" handle....

[/ QUOTE ]

So I get the bender, watch the video that makes bending tube look easy, drill anchor holes in the floor, set up the bender, throw some tube in it, and give it a pull.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif This is freaking impossible!

Now I know why so many people are talking about converting to a hydro setup.

Basically, I need to move the bender location. I only left enough room in my garage to swing the 4 foot bar. The silly thing is, I had a 6 foot piece of 1"x2" square tubing, and I cut the damn thing down to "Factory recommended" length and mounted the bender accordingly.
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Oh well. I'm moving soon, so this project will be on the back burner till I can get the new garage set up. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

I bent all my 2" with a 4 ft bar due to garage constraints. You can skip the back workout when going to the gym.

I think I'll get air over hydro before I build another one.

Ryan

19. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

thats looks great, gives me ideas /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

any updates Raymond?