Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truing Boggers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Nov 7, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of ANYONE in central to northern California that will true 39.5" Boggers?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I have no personal experience, but this guy is pretty clueful, IMHO ...

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TireSiping.shtml

and he says

"My Swampers were really rough riding with I first got them. I thought they might "break-in" a bit with use (ha!). I thought the siping would help "soften" the ride (HA!). Turns out they were out of round, so I've since had my Swampers "trued" or "shaved" at Rayhill Wheel and Brake in Visalia CA. It cost me $18/tire and was done on the vehicle. The front tires were spun by the machine and a rotating cutter shaved the tread round. In back, we let the engine spin the wheels in reverse and the cutter did the job. This made such a huge improvement in the ride, with those 1/4" high spots removed. "

Note that this is just me cutting-and-pasting from a web page.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't know of a shop in your area, but I had a set of 35's trued at a shop in Dallas back around 1980. First, you'll be shocked to see how much rubber ends up on the floor if the tire is out of round. Second, you'll be amazed at how much better the truck rides when the tires are actually round! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Boggers already wear down quick as hell as it why would you want to Speed up the process?

5. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Actually, truing a bogger will make them last longer... The balanced spin of the tire causes much less siping and the tire wears much more evenly. Ive talked to a guy that got 25,000 miles out his 39.5s after truing them.