Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trussing the 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 12, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Think I'm going to do some custom truss stuff tomorrow on the 44. Just take some steel plate and cut it to the shape of the housing and out onto the axle tube a good 7 or 8" I am thinking. I am planning 38s and the Dana 44. And though I don't plan on being a throttle monkey nailing it all the time I do picture the front end getting of the ground once and a while. Anyone think its a bad idea for some reason? Maybe I should go farther out on the axle tubes? Would knuckle to axle gussets be good? I know in a year or so I will be wanting a Dana 60 and wishing I did it now but you have all been 18 and on a budget I'm sure /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If you are gonna do it, do it right. Read........................
    Trussing
    More tech

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I searched and started reading some of that stuff but pirate was getting to me when not but a few replies in I see someone being called a homo and such. CK5 rocks.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks bubba, I read through the entire freaking Pirate thread, except for skipping a lot of "smack". I think for what I'm going to be doing that over will be better going about 8-10" out on the housing. I'm not gonna be a trophy truck high speed jumper I'm just picturing cresting some hills on a trail or in a field and getting the front end a few feet off the ground. And the K5 is my daily driver but it will be my trail/rock/mud rig as well so I really think over is better for me. Only problem I see is, welding to cast iron. A Dana 44 is cast iron correct? I am an alright welder but not sure about doing this with my MIG. I did however come away with the thought that I definetally need more material than just the plate steel. Hmm but at the sametime I am thinking maybe a below truss with square tubing as close to the axle tubes as I can manage. Grr descisions.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

There's a video link in the PBB thread, the Scout was only a few feet in the air and snapped the tube on the driver's side.

Doing a truss right the first time is a lot more involved than just welding some metal to the axle. It needs to be thought out really well.

The center section is cast iron, but the tubes are steel.

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Think I'm going to do some custom truss stuff.
    I am planning 38s and the Dana 44.
    Anyone think its a bad idea for some reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which part? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah i know 38s and Dana 44 is the first mistake. And I am designing something in my head I need to get materials for it but I just don't know. I will try and draw something in paint or whatever to show my thoughts. The video link is broken, as well as most of the image links in that thread. That was the annoying thing about reading it, that and the smack.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

here is my thoughts going through my head right now for an under setup. Opinions?
    [​IMG]
    Black of course axle tubes, red is square tube, blue round or probably square again, and the purple is plate gusseting.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but you have all been 18 and on a budget I'm sure

[/ QUOTE ]
    hell, im only 23 and on a TIGHT budget.
    some day ill get a nice paying job...
    Grant

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

You want the ends of the truss to go out as far as possible to the ends of the housing.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm 19 and I finally got my D60. Just look around, you'll find one eventually.

12. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have a Con -Ferr truss you can have real cheap if you pick it up in MD. Like this:
    [​IMG]
    For a D44 front, though. James.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats ok I'm just gonan run it like this, I am deciding whether I'm going with 36s or 38s right now so I just don't know.

14. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a Con -Ferr truss you can have real cheap if you pick it up in MD. Like this:
    [​IMG]
    For a D44 front, though. James.

[/ QUOTE ]

How cheap I may use it.
    Earl