Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trussing the housing/tube on a 12 bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

SInce I just manged to partialy seperate the tube from the housing on my 12 bolt, and crack the housing, I'm curious about ways to strengthen the housing/tube on the next one. Can't afford the 14 blt ff/8 lug D44 thing yet, So beefin the 12 bolt is what I'm lookin at for now. What are the best places to add a truss? Over the top of the housing? Underneath? Does anyone here run a truss of any kind? Ground clearance issues? Any articles or pictures that might be of any help? I really do not want to have to do this kinda thing again untill the time and the money comes for the 1 ton stuff. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Just found the article on the CK5 main page on the Missouri Offroad Outfitters truss. Anyone see any reason why a guy couldn't make one of these without the diff cover? Just the truss assembly?

Here is the article.
    http://coloradok5.com/moo12truss.shtml

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I some drag racers that run a weld bead all the way around the axle tube. I would think that would solve most if not all of your problems. It is also cheeper than the truss and you don't loose ground cleerance like you do with a under the axle truss.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I'll be the one to answer that! I did the same as you (only worse) and still didn't feel the need to go 1ton. I called Steve Frisbee at Missouri Offroad Outfitters and had him make me an over the top truss. Mine is different than his normal production one though. I had him extend it all the way to the u-bolts. This new truss incorparated new factory style shock mounts so I had to grind the old ones off. Steve can also customize yours any way you could imagine. I also have a connferr super skid truss on the bottom. With the bottom truss I only lost about 1/2'' of ground clearance. With this setup, my axle is trussed on top, bottom, and front. This axle cannot be snapped (I tried) it has remained perfectly straight after landings from 8'+ orbits.

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

But doesn't the welding weaken the axle tube?I bet that axle tube will break just close by the weld.

6. Blazinaire

Also, I ordered my MOoffroad truss without the cover to save a little cash. The cover must still be removed though because the truss uses the 12 bolts as anchoring points. And if the price of his truss sounds too steep, trust me, that was probably the single best upgrade on my K5 and worth every penny!

7. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

How about this <a target="_blank" href=http://www.4x4review.com/products/drive_train/10-bolt-3.asp>over the axle truss</a>?

8. Blazinaire

That one looks decent, but I noticed that it uses tubing and requires welding. IMO the MOoffroad one is better because it uses 1 1/4'' solid rod and is completely bolt on. Just my $.02

9. Zeus33rd

I'm a fabricator by trade, so there's no way I'm gonna pay for something that I can just as easly build myself. The one in the pic doesn't look to complicated...I was just curious about peoples thoughts on making one without the damn huge ass cover.

Blazinaire....Anyway I could get you to take some pics of the truss you had made? What you describe sounds exactly like what I want. I need an example to go off of inorder to fab one up. Thanks bro. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI. The cover and truss are not one piece. You can get one without the other and that is how they are sold.

Good luck on the fabrication.

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Missouri Offroad Outfitters is top notch in my book. Im ordering another huge cover for my D44 real soon.

12. Blazinaire

Sorry I am computer illiterate, so you're gonna have to cut and paste this one. Here is the address to my truss on the Mo-offroad site: www.mo-offroad.com/custom12trs.jpg It could be awhile before I can get some pictures of it on my truck, but I hope this helps!

13. Blazinaire

Oh wow! it made itself a link without even tryin, I gotta do that more often!