Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Truxs STS anyone?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Broke_Wheeler, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Broke_Wheeler

Broke_Wheeler Registered Member

It my quest for the perfect tire for my needs, I came back to these. My wheeling consists of about 40% sand 40% on road and 20% other(light mud,light trails) I was wondering if anyone has used these or knows anyone that has experience with them. My rig will see sand everyweekend in the warm months, and a little mud and trails at the hunt club every other month or so. Also will be daily driven or close too it for now. Any one can attest to how they wear, and how they do in sand and some mud? Thank you

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I had a set of them.... The worst tire I ever owned..:(
    [​IMG]
    Too stiff for the sand. Absolutely worthless in any mud. Chunked out way before their time in the rocks.... and vulnerable sidewalls to boot ! - as I opened one up like a sardine can on a stump.

I think you'd be much happier w/ a Goodyear MTR, Goodrich MT or even AT.

Marv

3. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I've never seen them off-pavement. But onroad I have. Theres a guy here in town the had 44" STS on his Dodge dually. The truck never saw a lick of dirt, but he towed everyday a 30' trailer with a bobcat and gear on it. For treadware they did really good.

[​IMG]

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

They're a good street tire. But for off road, you'd be better off with some MT's, MTR's or something similar with more grip....

5. Broke_Wheeler

Thanks guys for the input. I guess im still hunting. A buddy of mine has some BFG A/T on his ranger 31 inches and they do well in a variety of terrain. Ima use the nifty search button and see if i can dig up some testimonial on the BFG m/t. But i also have been looking at some retreads for my project XJ *gasp* but the best part is i will spend more money on the re-treads than i did on the whole perfectly running/working XJ :)

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I bought a set used from someone here on the board. Just barely started using them for running around in the snow. 'Don't have much (any?) sand around here, but I'm heading north in a couple of weeks lookin' for deep fluff. Mine are radial and my Jimmy is far from "light-weight" so they flex pretty good aired down. I haven't headed for any real mud yet (winch not mounted/no friends near) so I can't comment. But I've got other tires for that. I will say they are a bunch quieter than my BFG mudterrians & my cut GoodYear RT :D

7. Broke_Wheeler

Thanks Diesel Dan. oh btw i love your signature :)

8. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

so u had the raidal trxus sts??? all terains?

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Radial 38/15.50 x 15" :D They're getting alot of pavement duty (where the hell is the snow this year? :mad:

10. NEK5

so they are good?

11. fatdog

fatdog Registered Member

We're getting our share of snow this year, it's snowing enough tonight that when I tried to drive to the next town about 20 miles away I only made it a couple of miles out of town and had to turn around because I couldn't see where I was going. :eek1:

12. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

DAMN :eek1: I'ld love to have snow like that right now :D It's fricken raining out, Yesterday was almost 50F! It's JANUARY FCOL :confused:

And it's not much better up north (as in northern New England - VT, NH, ME; the NorthEast Kingdom). I can expect some screwy weather in Massachusetts, but in northern NH (where I'm originally from) it usually stays WINTER this time of year. :rolleyes:

13. NEK5

where in mass are you?

14. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Out west past Fitchburg, border of NH. But just started working in VT so I'm up there most of the week. Should be moving (to VT) this spring.

15. NEK5

cool...im in the northshore area...lynn