Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trxus MT's vs SSR's vs BFG Muds

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mikey von, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

I am hoping the wife will let me buy some tires for father’s day. I have it narrowed down to these three. This will be for my Suburban. It will see forest service roads, highway, mud (on the forest service roads), and ice and snow.

I really like the Trxus and from doing searches, it seems they are a great all around tire. The have siping so they should do OK in ice and snow.

I also like the SSR's (especially the aggressive look), but I am somewhat concerned about their road manners in ice and snow.

BFG's appeal to me due to their being easy to get almost anywhere. I also have concerns about their ability in ice and snow.

Costs are about the same on all three with SSR's being the most. I have a les schawb here in town that does siping, not sure on the cost though. I also am unaware of what brands they can get.

Anyone care to express their opinion on my three choices?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The BFG's I have suck in the snow...

Notice I live in SoCal now. I was stationed in Great Lakes Illinois for 3 years. I know snow.

Also the sidewalls are not very strong. Not sure what did this, but it sure was funny.
    [​IMG]

3. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

My room mate has a toyota 4-runner (ranch rig not road legal) that has a set of bald 33x12.50 trxus m/ts on it and they are damn good. They were even better when new. They do good on everything...even the ocassional 20 mile drive to town. Don't know about snow...but they are pretty good in mud...no bogger but pretty good...he ran over a 2 inch pipe on a dirt road and it went through the sidewall...he put a boot in it and then a tub and has held for the last 2 1/2 years with the exception of the multiple mesquite trees that get ran over. I say go for the them....I used to have ssr's on my truck that then went the same guys bronco...they were alright and rode smooth. Kinda pricy. The same guy used to have one bfg m/t on his toyota landcruiser and that was by far better than the other 3 "baldterrains" that were on it?:doah: trxus all the way.

4. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

Oooucch! That sidewall tear looks nasty. I have heard bad things about their sidewalls before. I will take BFG's off the list.

I am leaning towards trxus. On a good note, I just around $1200 re-embursed for my health insurance payments on my last paycheck. Should make convincing the CFO (AKA wife) a little easier.

It looks like I can get 33 x 12.5 x 16's for $159 a pop. 34's and 35's around $200. I'll probably get the 33's.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I forgot to mention the one good thing about BFG's.

The tread life is amazing. They last forever on the street.

6. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i have ssr's and they do great on everything, i drive my k5 up to the slopes and it has never gaven me problems, i remeber one time cars were sliding left and right and i still had great traction with 30 psi...
    i have had the tires for 3 years, their are multiple nails in each of my tires right now and i have never had a flat, and i still have more then half of my tread left

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I can't say anything about the tires in question. But you might as well get the 34's or 35's now. As soon as you get them on the truck, you're going to say "I should have gone bigger." Do it the first time.

8. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I got the 35X12.50R15 Trxus Mt's on my truck right now and I love 'em. They are a good price, got mine for i think 160 each. They work great off road ( I wheel muddy trails with some rocks), ride real nice on the street, and I know they are also great in the snow. I put mine on last November and drove the truck daily through out the Chicago winter and I can tell you they get great traction on snow. I say go for the 35's now, you will regret it if you don't

9. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

Where did you get them for $160 each? I would be all over that like a wet noodle.

10. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I got them from attitude performance( the local fourwheel drive shop) I work next door to them and I know the owner. I will double check that price.I think total was like $700 after tax.