Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trxxus M/T vs. BFG A/T?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

anyone here run the trxxus M/T? im thinking of selling my BFG A/T street tires and my TSL mud tires for one set of dual purpose tires. actually im giving my BFG's away to my uncle so i can go from 33's to 35's. so instead of buying 35" A/T's i think it might be a better idea to get rig of everthing and just get one set of good tires.

i want something that will equal the BFG on snow/ice(lots of siping) but will do ok in the mud.My TSL's are too heavy and dig to easily. i've thought of the BFG MT bud it doesnt have enough siping and looks like it'll be slippery on ice. the BFG AT is magical on ice. anyhow, anyone here run the trxxus tire in the snow? or anywhere for that matter? i probly drive 90% on road BTW. offroad once or twice a month. what do you guys think? good idea or no?

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Awesome tire for what they are. I have not run them myself, but wheel regularly with people who do run them. They are no TSL, but have good road manners, strong sidewalls, and they flex nice. Clean better than BFG MT's and way better than MTR's, and from what i see, look like they do better on the rocks. If i wanted to run an all arround tire with good road manners and wear, that would be my #1 choise.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks joez, thats exactly what i wanted to hear. BTW how do those Q78-15 TSL's measure out? is that like a 33x11.50?

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

nevermind, i just looked it up, 35.5x10.5..how do you like them?

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I ran the TRXXUS M/T's on my rig for about 2 years. Like Joez said very nice road manners and is a great all around tire. Did, good in the rocks and the mud, but hated the sand when I was in CA. I bought mine and they were used with like a few hundred miles and I put quite a bit of road miles on them when my truck was still my DD.

6. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Why not get the MT's and get them siped? A friend has run with and without Sipeing on MT's and said sipeing is the best thing he ever did. Excellent wet traction while still maintaining the BFG's excellent road manners and Offroad capabilities

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Absolutely love them. If i wasnt going to step up in size to a pizza cutter bogger, id be buying another set of these. I may end up buying another set anyway to have a set for the rocks.

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

:rotfl: pizza cutter bogger? thats funny. those do look good for being such a narrow tire.

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im too lazy. siping four tires takes a long time. plus i dont really care for the look of the BFG MTs. everyone's got them around here. plus joez said the trxus clean out better than the BFG[​IMG]

i think these just look bitchin'. i think they have a better lug design compared to the BFG.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

why werent they good in sand? dig too much? probly would do better than a plain TSL. i know mine bury me half the time causs they dig so good.

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yup, 38.5x11. As you can tell, i like my skinny tires.

If you poke arround my webshots, you will see pics of a green XJ on 33x12.5 trXus MT's in action, hes very happy with the tires, even now that its a trail rig only he has no plans to get rid of those until he goes to a 36.

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I really like my Goodyear MTR's. Great tire. Socal is similar to AZ so I imagine they would do well for you down there too. I don't know enough about the Truxus MT's to make a fair judgement about how good they are. They look like a similar style tire to an MTR.

Nice thing about an MTR is you can get them at Discount Tire and get there warranty's. Discount tire will not sell you warranties on Super Swampers.

Some Discount Tire stores can sipe your tires for you. They charged me $10-12 each tire to sipe my 35" BFG MT's when I had them.

Harley

13. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, first experience was in the dunes at Whitewater and dug to the axles. I guess any aggressive tire will but these things seemed to do worse than any other I have had. But still a great tire. Would still be running them if they were made any bigger.

14. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run the TrXus M/T on my F250HD. Good tire for the mud I have on the tree farm as well as doing ok for the street. I have run the BFG M/T and the BFg will get a lot more mileage than the TrXus. The TrXus does do well in the muyd that I have and does pretty well on the street. I would be able to tell you better if I did not have a bent rim. For the cost I found the TrXus to be a very nice tire, esp. on a tow rig that is used as a work truck.:thumb:

15. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

really? i always here that the BFG gets good mileage, do you know what you got out of each? whats the BFG good for? 40k? how about the trxus?

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

wow, 10$ per tire is alot cheaper than i expected. i like the looks of the MTR, but from what i've heard, they dont do very well in the mud. the tests ive seen the mags run confirm that. plus they are ALOT more money than the BFG or trxus. even tho i hate buying from them, 4wpw will warranty swampers, no questions asked policy. not sure how well they honor it, but they are only 1 block from my house so thats one good thing.

thanks everyone for all the advice, keep it comin'!:waytogo: