Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trying to decide on a new radio

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Z3PR, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

After talking to a few people, I find that the RCI radio's are having problems. It seams that over 75% of them are being sent back to the factory for repair with in 90 days. So now I'm looking at the ICOM 756PROII and the Yaesu FT-847 Witch one would you go with, and why ??

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Whoa those are a big step from an RCI! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Out of the two you listed I'd go with the FT-847. I'm still partial to the Kenwood TS-2000 though

The Icom 756PROII is an excellent radio though. The thing I like better about the 847 is the extra bands it has. I like the Kenwood TS-2000 for the same reason plus it has a built in tnc (for packet radio), optional 1.2ghz band and optional remote control panel for mobile operation, among other things.

You also might want to check eham.net's product reviews they have a lot of feedback on just about every radio out there.

I take it you're thinking about getting your ticket now.?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I take it you're thinking about getting your ticket now.?

[/ QUOTE ] Yeap !! One of the local guys I talk to every night is a ham. He is willing to teach me everything I'll need to know.

4. rebelk5frk

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    He is willing to teach me everything I'll need to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good ham! It's also the easiest way to do it. I had to learn everything the "hard" way by myself. Having an "elmer" sure makes things easier.

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The 756ProII is an expensive radio too!
    The TS-2000 is nice but its receiver SUCKS on 80 & 160M
    There are also some nice all-band mobil radios too.

eHam is a good place to get honest reviews.

6. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    The 756ProII is an expensive radio too!

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding.... you can almost buy 2 lower end hf radios for the price of the 756....but they are nice.

[ QUOTE ]
    The TS-2000 is nice but its receiver SUCKS on 80 & 160M

[/ QUOTE ]

That and the fact I still don't have a job are the only 2 things keeping me from picking one up. I'll probably wait on the ts-2000 until more of them start showing up in the used market. I'll snatch one up when I can get it for around $500....or win the lottery.

7. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

Why icom or yeasu, why not kenwood...the kenwood TS-570 is a really nice radio...had mine almost 5 years and never a problem..I always get good reports.....And modifying it for mars is easy if you like 11 meters...but it's illegal to use it for that..ha ha

8. 88Silverado

I have always bought Kenwood. I had a 520SE and my ol 830S and a few HT's for many..many years. Just got a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk-V Field last year with all the filters (First Yaesu). Nice rig too but think the 950 has a better receiver. Never owned Icom.

My Radio Page

9. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

Ive never owned a Icom as well, but know a few guys that use them....Let me tell you I know when there fan turns on it sounds like a jet engine in the back ground not good....NOT GOOD....... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

The best bang for the buck is the Yaesu 920. It has great receive. I have the Yaesu MK V all filtered out. I would agree the receive is good, but the Kenwood TS_950 SDX may have it beat I've had all the rigs mentioned but I am still partial to MK V. The main thing is get what you want can afford, put some wire in the air and get on the air.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Can get a major deal on the ICOM 756PROII. Have a friend that's brother works for ICOM. He can get a 756PROII for under $800.00 so I'm really leaning that way. $800.00 for a $2,000.00 radio sounds like a major deal to me. And that's brand new in the box, never opened. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 88Silverado

Grab it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

For that price I would be interested in one too!!!!!!

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For Kenwood, I like the look of the TS-870S. here But I've got a hook up on a badass Icom. Just need to a few things on the K5 first.

15. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I learned the hard way. Everyone I had talked this one and like that one, but I was never satisfied. I've had the original Icom 756, 746,736 and 706, the Kenwood 850, 870, 950SDX, the Yaesu 757, 890, 990 920, and the Yaesu MK V. My favorite rigs were the Kenwood 950SDX and Yaesu MK V 200 watt which I have owned for 3 years. I run mobile a ICOM 706 MK II and Kenwood TS-50 with a High Sierra screwdriver antenna. I will say also that I have never lost any money besides shipping cost on any the rigs that I have sold. all have had their original packing boxes, manuals and acessories.

Some say K-5 blazers as hobby is expensive, they haven't been in amateur radio very long.

16. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    Some say K-5 blazers as hobby is expensive, they haven't been in amateur radio very long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thats why I got me a new, cheaper hobby called K5 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif