Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trying To Decide On New Tires?? Have A Few Quetions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Feb 10, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok i have found a few tires i want that i can afford, here they are
    tsl/sx either a 35/15.50/15
    or 38/14.50/15

tsl/thornbird 35/14.50/15

but then i seen some groundhawgs, i like the looks of them
    but i realy dont kow i hae a set of m/t baja belted 35/17.50/15right now, but they are a/t i want a semi aggressive treat that will serve me if i want to play mild, but these will be my highway tires, so i need somethinng i can get 25,000 atleast but still do alrighty on small trails im looking for something cheap, around 8-950 for set, i seen a lot of used tires, but all half tread or less, and i need good tread so i figure new onws are the way to go but i just put 411 in the blazer so if i stick with around a 35 i should be ok, but if i got bigger ill have the same gut less feeling i did with the 308 i think, i need all the suggestions you guys have on tires thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would go with the tsl/sx 35/15.50/15's they work awesome /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i have around 25,000 on mine and they are still above half tread /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Run far and fast from the Thornbirds.

Go with the SX's. They are excellent tires with decent on-road wear characteristics. Off road they are unequivocally the best tire all around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Thronbirds suck. don't even consider them if you are going to see highway miles.

I have never heard of someone getting 25,000 miles out of swampers.
    Maybe 25,000 kilometers, but not miles. BFG's or Goodyear MT/R's would be a good choice for lots of highway driving and getting that kind of milage out of them that you are looking for.

The SX is a particularly brutal tire on the freeway as they are very difficult to balance and are VERY heavy.

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Why are you going with such a wide tire? 15" is OK for maybe 38 and up, but I think it's a little wide for a 35".
    I'd stay away from the thornbirds.

What do you think about the 36-12.5-15 TSL radials? Radial = ok for DD, even on highway. I don't think they are skinny, but some do.

If you want a long lasting mud terrain tire, I suggest Mud Kings. They have a radial 35 12.5 15 and they last freaking forever. Same tread pattern as a BFG MT

-- Mike

6. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

only prob i have seen with the bfgs and mtrs they dont make a 14.5 or 15.5 only 12.5 that i have seen, but i dont drive over 50 miles an hour within a 1 and half mile stretch, i drive around town not highway, that help the sx's ? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. mudhog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I have never heard of someone getting 25,000 miles out of swampers.
    Maybe 25,000 kilometers, but not miles

[/ QUOTE ] i have around 25,000 on my 38x13x16in tsl's and still have atleast half tread left /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i just bought a set of tsl sx's (38.5's) and i LOVE them, best tire ever,( better if they came 42" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). i got them from www.ultimate4wheeldriveperformance.com for the shipped to my door price of 1057.80$ (for 4). very nice people.

on the highway there as good as you can get for a tire that does that well off road...

ahahahhhhhhhha /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif say no to the evilbirds.

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Interco also makes a 36x14.50 Swamper Radial. I have a set of radials (in the 36x12.50 size) and would be hard pressed to ever use another tire on a rig that gets driven on the road for any length or amount of time.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i have around 25,000 on my 38x13x16in tsl's and still have atleast half tread left /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well then, share your secrets, cuz the rest of us aint anywhere near that number.

11. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

ground hawgs i have heard that they last a real long time. i've heard they wear like iron. i've seen em in mud and they do perty good. sx's are also a great tire. they wear faster than hawgs do. i would look into the ground hawgs. later.

jacob

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

All of my buddies who run SX's seem to like them, as far as wear characteristics. I can only vouch for BFG MT's. I put mine on in '94 and have close to 50k on them, with at least 1/3 tread left. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Sorry, but the Mud Kings and the BFG mud-terrains do NOT have the same tread pattern. They are similiar, but about as similiar as comparing the BFG mud to something like a Goodyear MT/R or General Grabber MT.

14. mudhog

i have no secrets /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif well not about these anyway lol i did not get them siped i run 22psi on the street and have a real good wear pattern /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif oh and it is my daily driver /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Ok, I need pics then, cuz I am wearing out 39.5's like i own stock in interco. Did you cut the tread blocks?

16. mudhog

nope i have done nothing to them but have them put on rims and then on my blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

I know most of you guys say thornturds suck, but I have a buddy with them and he has 30,000 and they still look great. I was behind him during an entire outing and the thornturds performed beautifully! They grabbed in sand on rocks and the lugs on the sides function great in rutts. I didn't get to see them in the mud to much but what I did see they looked good. Just my $.02

18. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

he has 30,000 and they still look great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be the Armor All.