Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trying to decide the best high pinion option for my 85 fs blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hfactor, Sep 11, 2004.

1. hfactor

hfactor Registered Member

I have a 85 blazer with a 6 inch lift/36 inch tires and am sick of my driveshaft hitting rocks. Its got a 10 bolt in it now with 4.56 gears. What do you guys think is my best high pinion rear option? Strength/cost/driveshaft height/oiling issues considered I live in Wyoming and don't know anybody locally (as of now anyway)to go check any out. Thanks for any help.

2. hfactor

anybody?

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Don't know of many high pinion rears. Kinda extreme but there are rockwells or custom axles.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I really don't think there are any reverse cut axles that are strong enough to be used in the rear of a full size vehicle.

I have seen a reverse cut '60 in the rear of a K5 once, so it's been done before. The guy cut up a Ford front axle to make his rear axle...and built it himself.

Keep in mind that your pinion will only go up approximately 3" by this swap. You might be better off with bigger tires instead.

Hell if you've got a 10 bolt now, anything is an improvment just about.

5. hfactor

What do you guys think/know about those new real high pinion 9 inch ford 3rd members? There was a couple in south dakota over labor day week/weekend and the guys who had them seemed really happy with them.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you have the $ resources, go with an aftermarket center section like Tera's CRD, Currie, Rock Crusher or Dynatrac's. They are designed with better oiling and such.

Or if you have alot of extra funds.... Mog portals!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. hfactor

which do you think would be stronger the hp9" or the hp60?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm starting to think this guy is a troll.

If you're wondering about high pinion axles, do a search on www.pirate4x4.com

There is only one person making a true high pinion 9" and they just came out recently.

9. hfactor

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm starting to think this guy is a troll.

???

10. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]
    which do you think would be stronger the hp9" or the hp60?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go with a Currie HP9", then the 60 is definately strong as the Currie unit uses a smaller carrier than a normal 9". It's somethign like an 8.8" or 8".....

One company did just come out with a true HP 9" like TIm said. Do a search over on Pirate for it...

Tim - Why would you think he is a troll?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think he's the guy creating this high pinion 9" trying to expose the product. I can't really blame him, either.

Just seems kinda weird to me that someone with 5 posts and a rear 10 bolt is asking about a high pinion axle.

12. hfactor

[ QUOTE ]
    I think he's the guy creating this high pinion 9" trying to expose the product. I can't really blame him, either.

Just seems kinda weird to me that someone with 5 posts and a rear 10 bolt is asking about a high pinion axle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of my buddies and I have 80's blazers and love our gm's. When we lift them the the driveshaft gets so much angle they shake. We've tried more pinion angle less pinion angle sometimes its on accel sometimes decel. The c/v on the t-case end seems to help but you grind the heck out of it to get any travel. We've tried replaced the bushings in the t-case output. It's getting to be a drag. I'm thinking I'd like to try and fix this one last time and be done but don't know which way to turn. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Emmettology 101

I'd go with a Tera CRD 60 houings and call Jesse at High Angle driveline for a CV with more movement so you dont have to grind the stock! He has them up to 80* I believe!

14. Emmettology 101

Well so far nothing... And it shows that the truehu9 site is register to a different name and location than this guy is claiming. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd go with a Tera CRD 60 houings and call Jesse at High Angle driveline for a CV with more movement so you dont have to grind the stock! He has them up to 80* I believe!

[/ QUOTE ]

if he's going to get the housing from Teraflex, then he mind as well get them to build them the whole axle, or find another place. it will cost more than 2000 dollars after adding in quality aftermarket parts to match the rest of the set up.

if you just want a HP front axle, use a stock ford hp 60, and upgrade whatever you want, then you have all the stock parts as spares...

17. Emmettology 101

Everyone is missing what he is looking for. He stated in the first post:

"What do you guys think is my best high pinion rear option?"

He could save a little money if he can assemble the rear himself and install the gears. It's only about $200 to retube an axle, but then you got to add on installing housing ends....

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

he also said:
    "Strength/ cost /driveshaft height/oiling issues considered "

I dont understand why he needs such an expensive after market HP rear axle... sure he hits the driveshaft on the rocks alot, but it will be cheaper to buy a few spare driveshafts instead of buying a HP rear axle...

19. hfactor

I'm trying to cure driveshaft vibration/angle issues along with hitting rocks and hopefully add some strength in the process. I would like to thank EVERYONE for their thoughts on this.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Why waste money on a 9" ?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

How about just turning the pinion up! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif