Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trying to decide to keep and modify or sell and buy better

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by bad_bo_ti, Dec 27, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i have a 93 chevy 4x4 x-cab short bed 1/2ton i am wanting to either modify or sell it to buy a truck that i can tow heavy loads with. truck is paid for. just wondering what you guys think and what my options are as far as modifing. i dont have a problem going to an older model chevy or another brand. what would be som egood mods for this truck o r should i just sell it and use the cash to buy better thanks, chris

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Hmm, just me but I'd sell it and get a heavier chassis.

I like the 2wd for towing and fuel economy, but a big block or diesel and at least 3/4 ton would be best.

Older Fords can make good tow rigs, I've seen alot of guys using those. I'm just not sure it would be worth trying to beef up a 93 chevy. The front would get kinda expensive to build up I think, but I could be wrong.

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Keep it and do a SFA? Upgrade the rear to 14bolt FF. Or you could keep it 6 lug, still do the ff and use the Bling Bling Grady's 6 lug hubs. If you do keep it, definately upgrade to 3/4 rear springs &/or airbags. One downside to the upgrade would be that you will still have the 4160E

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

both have very good points, do you think i would get into less money if i just sold mine and got a heavier chassis vehichle?

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think it would be easier to buy a different truck. I went from a '98 Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 to a '92 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 and actually paid much less for the GMC. It tows much better too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yea thats my thinking now too, so the next question is anyone wanna buy it!! lol /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Not me. Just got a 93 K3500 454/5 Spd.

Sorry.

8. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

jealous!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Had to search for a while to find it. Really wanted a Crew Cab. Had to "Settle" for an extended cab. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I want to steal parts from my project vehicle to put on the DD/Tow rig. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I still think the D60 and Hummer beadlocks would look great on it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif