Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trying to find Genuine Military paint for my M1009 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Klink K5, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Title says it all, looking for the correct type of paint to repaint my 1986 M1009 Military Blazer. Does anyone have any leads on were to get the correct type of paint. I really need OD Green. Thanks, Klink /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Good luck, you might be able to get a color match, but those were painted with CARC paint and that isn't sold to civilians as it is extremely poisonous. That was what I was told by DOD @ DSSC when I went looking for the paint for my rig a couple years ago. I gave up at that point because I was after the texture as well.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck, you might be able to get a color match, but those were painted with CARC paint and that isn't sold to civilians as it is extremely poisonous. That was what I was told by DOD @ DSSC when I went looking for the paint for my rig a couple years ago. I gave up at that point because I was after the texture as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct sir.

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Paint it with regular paint and claim that it was a Desert Storm truck. They sprayed all ours beige when they went but we hand painted them green/brown when we got back so we could go back to the med...so much for the high speed CARC paint job /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

And the only thing special about CARC is the chemical and radioactive resistance it has so you shold beable to find somthing to duplicate the texture

5. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Try surplusjeep.com I ordered my desert sand paint from there and it wears like iron.

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    as it is extremely poisonous

[/ QUOTE ]

Very dangerous. If you decide to sand any of the military paint be sure to wear a respirator, N100, if memory serves me right.

7. camarine

camarine Registered Member

A direct replacement for the CARC paint is called Zero-Rust. It comes in aerosol cans and costs around 8-10 dollars a can. I have a few of them but could possibly have more shipped from CA if anyone needs it. here is a bar code for the blavk paint 095678500136. It is distributed by Zero Rust Inc out of Hamilton IL.

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well I found this color made by Aervoe it is woodland green #990 and it says it meets FS595 color specs...And it was 3.49 a can at my local OSH orchard supply hardware store..

Here is a pic of the color..

[​IMG]

9. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

We'll thanks for all of the replys so far, but cant some of you guys in the military GET ahold of some of this paint? Or is it that homeland security is pretty tough on passing by the gates of the bases? I would really like to get ahold of the correct paint for my truck, It is just the type of guy I AM. Thanks, Klink /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

With that kind of stuff the really watch how much is let out and how much is returned. Plus you have to have a supervisores signature to even get the paint. LOTS of paperwork to do for it. In the Navy I have to fill out 2 or 3 different pieces of paper just to get a can of spraypaint.

Nick

11. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i know when i was in the army as a truckdriver , we
    had to paint our own rigs . we used to have 5 gallon buckets of the stuff at the motorpool . see if you can somehow get someone in the military near you to go to their
    base motorpool (truck division ), and ask around .
    good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. EPA doesnt allow units to paint their vehicles in the motor pool anymore. They are painted in paint shops on post, by civilians most of the time. Just in case anybody wanted to know, CARC stands for Chemical Agent Resistant Coating, its not radioactive proof. It was made to be easier to clean if it was contaminated by a chemical agent as it does not absorb them as easily as regular paint and it holds up better to the decon's used, as most need to be scrubbed, which would destroy normal paint in short time. So unless you are expecting a chemical attack sometime soon, I would go with regular paint.

13. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

When we needed to touch up our rigs in the service most of us actually went and got our own paint from Wal-Mart and did the work.
    Mind you we had to get colors that matched up with the FS standards but that usually isn't a big deal.
    And since this was simply touch up it really didn't matter a whole lot.
    CARC is kinda like flat primer in the way it acts with dirt and branches scrapping across it so it's reallt tough if not impossible to match it perfectly when it's been on a truck for a long time. Course you can wipe tranny fluid across the paint and make it look like new again until the next time it goes into the field! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Any trucks that required more than a touch up had to be sent in to the civillians in fourth shop to be repainted with the CARC.
    A buddy of mine swung by this morning from the Air Base in a Hummer, and to get a similar texture you could probably use Rhino Linning or something similar and paint over with the OD green and it would look very similar and wear just as well.

14. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I will try walmart paint, thanks for your help, Klink /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I think matching the EXACT pattern would be more important with your project. When the civs. paint them, they go by a pattern--- that way ALL hummers, 5 tons, hemmts, etc, etc, etc have the same paint. After they sand them down, some one comes by and traces off each color pattern with some sort of chalk (?) and puts the color inside of it. When the painters come through, each one has a different color, and they paint thier corresponding color in the marked out spot. Of course this is only for the Woodland camo ones.

It was pretty cool Watching them do it....

Rob

16. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Attention Painters:Trying to find Genuine Military paint OD Green

I tried the Walley World Krylon crap and It does not have a good texture to it. I would like to Know If any painters could find me a PPG or Dupont color code for the flat non glossy Olive Drab (OD Green) for my truck. TTT again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThanks

17. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

You can use this page to corospond colors to their FS numbers which might help some.
    Testors FS paints

18. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I tried the Walley World Krylon crap and It does not have a good texture to it. I would like to Know If any painters could find me a PPG or Dupont color code for the flat non glossy Olive Drab (OD Green) for my truck. TTT again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThanks

[/ QUOTE ]

They have it...I have seen it in the store.. Aervoe

19. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

The best military paint I have seen so far is the Gillespie paints. The modern 383 green is available and it's a perfect match for any of the current paints. It is used by all of the guys who restore military vehicles for a living. I used the Aervoe paint to repaint my Desert Storm CUCV tan and it looked OK for a while but then it really started to fade and wear funny. I know one fella that painted his with the Aervoe 383 green and it faded to a kinda pinkish green color, weird. Go HERE for all your paint needs. Owned by a real nice guy named Mark Dodd. Call him and he'll hook you up.

Chris

20. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

throw a little sand on it after the paint for texture lmao