Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trying to identify strange engine noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, May 20, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My engine seems to be making kind of a ticking tapping sound. It doesn't seem to do it below 1000rpm. A friend thinks it might be a loose rocker, I dunno. The sound seems to be coming from the pass side of the truck.

If it was a rod or bearing or something like that in the engine, what kind of symptoms should I look for? What would that sound like? I have never heard an engine with a bad bearing or anything so I don't know what it sounds like.

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Check your ex. manifold bolts. Bet it's an exhaust leak.
    Jim

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The exhaust does leak, and I can hear the valves clicking, but this is different than that, although I suppose it could be some kind of noise from the engine.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have three lazy lifters. I got my lifters as NOS. At first I thought it was the head studs were pulling out. Then I realized, I can either make my valves too tight (lost compression) or a little loose and they tap. I will replace them... some day.

Basically, I ended up checking the compression on EACH cylinder after I adjusted the valves. That's how I found which lifters were going bad. I would run the engine a little bit (to get oil pressure up), then adjust the valves.

Good luck.