Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trying to install a remote starter solenoid and getting nowhere

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Mar 9, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I bought one of those remote starter solenoids from summit to fix my heat soak problem but the instructions it came with suck and now I'm lost. The solenoid has 2 large posts, 1 to the battery and 1 to the old solenoid battery connection. I got that part. Then there are two small posts, 1 labeled "S" and 1 labeled "I". That's where I'm confused, there is nothing in the instructions that says anything about an "I" terminal, so what is that for? Also, do I just attach the new "S" wire (blue wire) from the "S" terminal on the new solenoid to the "S" terminal on the old solenoid? And lastly, what do I do with the supplied red cable? Does that go from the battery to the alternator or something? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I just put one of thses in a few hours ago here is what I did, The small wire on the starter, I cut and wired it to the "S" terminal, the "I" terminal will not be used if you have HEI, Then all you do is is hook up the main leads and it "should" work, My truck does not have a engine in it at the moment so I can't check to see if I did mine right but that is how I understood the directions

THE DIRECTIONS DID SUCK /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

"I" = ignition
    "S" = start

Put a small jumper wire between the big post and the S terminal on the solenoid on the starter. Hook the old start wire (the little one that went to the "S" terminal on the starter previously) to the "S" terminal on the Ford-type solenoid (you'll have to extend it most likely). Sounds like you've got the rest of it correct.

4. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Ok that helped a lot but I still have one question. The kit came with 4 wires: 1 small black ground, 1 yellow wire which goes to the "I" terminal which I won't be using anyway, 1 blue wire which connects the "S" terminal, and a large red wire (I'd say 6 or 8 gauge). What do I do with the red wire?

Matt

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I recall correctly, the alternator wire goes straight to the battery. You can either reconnect that to the starter's solenoid (which is what I would do) or run that wire up to the Ford type solenoid. Unless you choose to do the latter, you probably won't need that thick red wire.

6. OneBBBurb

OneBBBurb Registered Member

Hmmm sounds like a debate that started clear back when I used to race stock cars.
    The idea is to get your solenoid away from the heat..correct /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    But all your doing is putting a "switch" in front of another switch. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Now..Your starter solenoid STILL has to pull the plunger in to engage your starter.So your hot starter is still working the same as before,you just have another switch between your starter and your battery(more voltage drop,and another system that can go out).. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    The only way that that system will work(as they advertise) is if you use a starter from say a "cough"ford"cough" that doesnt have a solenoid mounted on the starter and is mech. engaged.

That is just my .02,but some food for thought
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    Doc

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Your argument may be valid, but my real world experience with this mod is what I'm going to go by.

I had a tired and half dead starter that would not turn my truck over once it was even remotely warm. After installing the remote solenoid it would start warm or cold until the starter finally packed it in 2 years later.

That was my experience with the remote solenoid...YMMV

Rene

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with you 100% rene. I have two years of electronics classes and I personally can't justify it with a math equation either, but I can tell you that it works. I've done this mod to a number of boats for my customers and they all have reported good results from it.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I can vouch for this too, I had real bad heat soak problems when running low speed trails, I put the Ford solenoid in and it now starts up no problem, every time. </font>

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Now..Your starter solenoid STILL has to pull the plunger in to engage your starter.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one BIG difference that comes into play. With the stock wiring, all of the current to power the solenoid on the starter has to go from the battery, to the steering column, through the switch, then finally back out and down to the solenoid. This is done through 8 or 10 gauge wire, so there's quite a bit of voltage drop along the way.

Now add the Ford solenoid into the equation. When that sucker closes, you now have power coming directly from the battery, through the Ford solenoid and then directly to the GM solenoid, via a short, fat-a$$ battery cable. The end result is that you can end up with 2-3 more volts, and plenty of current, right at the GM solenoid. That slams it home and away she goes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> I can vouch for this too, I had real bad heat soak problems when running low speed trails, I put the Ford solenoid in and it now starts up no problem, every time. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

But Evan how heat soaked could it get setting in your garage? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Oh for the love of Mike, why does everyone always have to make the quips about my garage-wheeler? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I ran the remote solenoid for a good year before parking the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Oh for the love of Mike, why does everyone always have to make the quips about my garage-wheeler? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I ran the remote solenoid for a good year before parking the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Evan, I was just messing with you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wouldn't say anything if I didn't think you were /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I know you're messin with me Bruce. I could give you some $h!t too though... Something about a truck you owned but never wheeled, then sold to a guy who's been driving it 100 miles to club runs... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif </font>