Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trying to quiten my rearend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dale fan, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

My 10 bolt has some pinion bearing howl in it. Not noticeable with the windows down but now that the temps are climbing it's A/C time. Anything I can put in it to hush it up some? Thicker lube, additives? A guy I work with said put sawdust in it but I'm not to keen on that idea. I am going to get a 14 bolt this fall but until then any ideas? I would just turn up the tunes but the stock radio isn't the greatest.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The LUCAS brand of additives seem to work well,it says on the engine oil treatment you can use it in manual trannys and differentials.I have also seen STP gear oil treatment,comes in a tube like toothpaste,its real thick and stringy--I use it for assembly lube in the shop.I would use something like theese products before sawdust--thats an old used car salesmans trick,only lasts long enough to sell it--I've heard bannana peels work as well as sawdust--not reccomended by me!.I have seen guys pump a tube of chassis grease in a noisy or leaky tranny,then fill it up with 85/140 gear lube to quiet it and slow the leakage,dont know if its a good thing to do though,it may hurt more than help in the long run. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I am going to get a 14 bolt this fall but until then any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd move up the plans for the 14 bolt before the 10 bolt completely grenades...

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Once it starts making noise it is done. Buy that 14B now!

5. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Once it starts making noise it is done. Buy that 14B now!

[/ QUOTE ] I second that. Mine was nasty when it went. Everything had to be replaced because there were nothing but chunks left. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Replace the bearings, there not that expensive.