Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trying to rotate the pinion, but it just seems like the springs are flexing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PetaKane, Jan 31, 2003.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Still going at it with my A-tron shims. I've got them installed now, the angle at the pinion didn't change a bit, the springs just look like they flexed to a different angle. What does this sound like? I'm lost

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, that doesn't sound right at all....if you install shims, your springs shouldn't change - your axle should rotate up. When comparing the way your pinion looks now compared to before - is your vehicle in the same position (ie, is it resting on the ground with full vehicle weight on it, or is it still on jackstands)? Also, what degree did you get?
    Are you eyeing this up, or did you actually take the angle measure? I'm sure it's changed.

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Tyler, When we make these shims we put the offset that you asked for (1" or 1.5") on eitherside of the centerpin so that you can adjust your pinion up or down. Is it possible that you have turned the shim around from the way you actually want it? If this is the back axle and you want the pinion to point up you would want the thin end forward and if you want the pinion to point down the thin end goes to the back. The short bolt stays in the center and the offset (long) bolts go through the spring pack and the offset holes in the blocks. If you have done all of this and drilled a new hole in your top plate to match the offset (1" or 1.5") then it has to move. There is nothing else holding it in place.