Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trying to sell car and not having any luck? Grrrr......it's still here

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AJMBLAZER, Apr 13, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Trying to sell car and not having any luck? Grrrr......it\'s still here

Have a 92 Chevy Blazer K1500 up for sale. Going to use it to fund the purchase of a K5 and some other stuff. Been listed in the paper twice recently for a total of 3 weeks and counting. Had exactly 2 calls on it./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Asking a reasonable price, and it's not a Michigan truck, so no rust, just the market sucks right now./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Anyone else having these problems?

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone trying to sell a used car and not having any luck?

is it sitting somewhere people can see it? Thats what usually sells cars around here. If people drive by it a few times, they notice it, and get up the gumption to call. make sure you put a paper in the window with mileage, and specs and stuff...

Good luck.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It took almost a year to sell my Cherokee!! 2 ads in the paper, 3 calls total from the ads (although 1 ad-generated call did sell it), had the thing parked in my local Rite-aid parking lot every saturday and sunday with a massive sign in the window, which got a few more calls than the paper, but no buyers... I was even considering cutting pieces off it and building it into an off-road beater...

Good luck, I know how that sucks!!

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Waht does your ad say? That seems to make a big difference. My friend scored a '69 GTO for $2300 in good running shape from the original owner. It was listed in the paper and he had 3 calls on it in a month. His ad really sucked though. A month later my frined decided to sell it, made an awesome ad in the same newspaper and had close to 50 calls on it. He sold it for $5500 in the exact same condidtion.

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

I had that problem when i went to sell my Tbird off... ran the ad.. got a couple of calls... Decided to go up and buy some for sale signs at wal-mart... wash and waxed it... drove around and i started getting a ton of calls on it... sold tha car 3 days after puting the signs in the windows and driving around...

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Two things I have learned - newspaper ads are not as effective as Truck Trader ads...........at least in Oregon. Maybe it's different in MI.

Park it somewhere that gets lot of traffic driving past............with the signs in it all the time, even when you drive it.

Good luck..

7. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I agree with Blazzin...the authority nowadays is the Truck Trader or a facsimile thereof. Everyone that I know has done the majority of used vehicle purchases/sales with the help of that medium.

The market is still soft as a result of 911, especially since the Big 3 and others offer/offered exceptional interest rates on new vehicles.

Good luck!

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You could try advertising the internet.
    autotrader.com is nationwide
    I just bought a car off carsoup.com. couldn't find what I was looking for around my town. So I started searching on the net for what I wanted.
    maby someone out there is looking for your Blazer.

9. AJMBLAZER

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. I posted an ad in the Michigan issue of "Auto RV Trader" for 2 weeks. Picture and 25 words for 2 weeks for $25, so not to bad./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Also putting it in my local paper, and it's been sitting in a local grocery store parking lot with signs on it for most of this weekend. About to go grab it now.

Hopefully someone comes soon. Got a line on a SWEET K5. Now if my damn IFS POS would just sell./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I too need to sell my Imapala ......... I could use the money and since I don't drive it a s much it would make sense ......... I hope it goes this summer so I don't have to worry about storage in the garage again this winter. Good luck to you !

11. AJMBLAZER

Well, a guy called yesterday. Said he would call back today and get directions. Hmmmm.......11:57pm and no call back. Wonder if he'll call?/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

That makes 4.

Dammit, wish someone would buy this thing. Next step is to soap "FOR SALE" on the side windows just to make it more obvious./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Only consolation I get is that the truck I'm looking at getting is selling about as fast as mine is./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I just sold my Jaguar by using a free web classified. Here is the link. I got lots and lots of hits.
    John
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.car-nection.com>www.car-nection.com</a>

13. AJMBLAZER

Thanks man, posted it there the other day. Just kept forgetting to come on and thank you./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Some dork called a few hours ago while I was out and talked to my dad. Couldn't understand why "I was asking so much". "It is 10 years old after all." He's obviously never priced these trucks before./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Wanted to know what the new paint was hiding. Dad says quality GM replacement parts after some body work. He mumbled something and dad hung up on him./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I've bought and sold quite a few vehicles, some pretty exotic ones including a couple of Porches, a couple of Jags, and some other things. There are alot of looky loo's who think just because someone is offering a vehicle for sale that your kids must be hungry and you will give the vehicle to them. Taught a few lessons to some people in that department. I am very easy to deal with but also know when someone is trying to BS me. To make a long, boring story less long and boring I do know what you mean about the caller you had the other day.

On car-nection go in about once a week and update your add. At the bottom of the page you will see a box that says extend your avert. check that box and it keeps the add on the newest adds page.

John

15. AJMBLAZER

Re: Trying to sell car and not having any luck? Grrrr......it\'s still here

Damn thing is still here./forums/images/icons/mad.gif Man, I wish I could get rid of this thing. I've found ANOTHER good K5 I want, for a great deal, and I just can't get rid of this damn thing./forums/images/icons/frown.gif I've dropped the price a grand, put the carrion eater attention grabber "MUST SELL" on it, been over ingraciating to every person who called about it, even the jerks and morons, and still, not one person has even shown up to look at it who called.

In the 2 months it's been up for sale and advertised, I've had exactly 1 person look at it. He just happened to be driving down my road./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Seems like I'm wasting all my advertising money and efforts. Ergh./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

I swear, I'll find Osama myself and shove this damn truck up his @ss. I can buy a lot of K5's with the reward money./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

16. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I've had my van on the market, both in the trader and with signs on it, for 6 weeks. Not a single call. I priced at about two-thirds of the price of similar vans and couldn't get a call. I tried raising the price, still no calls. If I don't sell it soon I may have to sell my '73 k5 so I can afford school. At this point I'm glad I opted for the "run until sold" ad over the three week ad. You work on Osama, I'm going to start working on winning the lottery /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Aaron

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Try pulling the ad for a - bit. Get it off the market.
    Some of us scout the adds before we concider takeing the time to look, If I see a add in for weeks in a row, I don't even bother, 'figure somethings wrong with it. (see what I'm getting at?)

You have to rotate your stock. -Keep it fresh and "new", that means parking it somewhrere differently, pulling adds for a week or two, change the pic in the add (and location) as-well as changfeing the price up and down. Don't let it get stale, keep it moveing.

Keep it clean! Shine it up, vacume, but make it look usefull (used), not just a "ol' hack" thats was sitting in the yard for years before you decided to sell it.

Try to hit a "market", if it's a van- work the "family" thing, park it in shoping centers, or close to churches.
    If it's a K-Blazer, try shooting for single - males, Military-joints, bars, clubs, Base-ball/Soft-ball parks. Where ever your prospective cliant is going to be.

Don't appear desperate to sell, it might scare people away.

Two-doors (in todays market) is a hard-item, It's tuff to sell anything that has two-doors, (three doors is all-most as tuff).