Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TSL,IROCK or SX?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jk3078, Dec 14, 2005.

?

TSL,IROCK or SX

1. TSL

24 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. IROCK

48 vote(s)
    48.0%
  3. SX

28 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

New skins for the sub-buggy!!! Just looking for input from any one runing these tires. I'll be buying 36s next month with the taxes. Whats the best for rocks mostly ,trails and some mud? Side wall durability? The IROCK'S look bad ass and thats what I'm thinking i'll get, but I figured I'd get yalls 2 cents before I laid the cash down. O and this truck will see no street use.Not enough trucks up here in po-dunk to see all these tires in action much so any info would be cool! Thanx.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

3. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I vote Iroks

I had the 36" Iroks on my burb before I went to my current 42"tsl . The Iroks rode nice and kicked a$$ in the mud and snow . They did well on the rocks too. They do balloon out a bit even on a 15x10 rim And the big plus is they are fairly cheap for a 36" tire (bias ply) . I mounted the tires my self with tire irons & the starter fluid method + I never had them balanced & they never needed it . I would have went with the 42" Iroks but they don't have the tread depth of a tsl and I think the sidewalls are a little thicker on the tsl . My burb is a heavy pig so I want a stout tire under it . I will be running a set of Iroks on my jeep cj5/buggy when it's ready .

4. kotton

kotton Registered Member

This guy isnt lieng about the rode manners. I Just got some 36" biased IROKS at the beggining of this week. I have yet to take them offroad but they are damn good on the road. 4 of them only ran me about $800 mounted and balanced.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

IROKs! Here's a shot of some sidewall flex. I ran 6 lbs on this trip and this is an example of the punishment I gave them. I had no problems at all during the two day trip!

[​IMG]

6. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

at that size, a TSL shouldn't even be on the list. The SX has the added value of side wall lugs. Either the SX's or the IROK's would be the way to go. The IROK is a stickier tire, but at the cost of tread life.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Definately the Irok, probably the best tire in the 35-36" tire range, and they are a true 36" tire. Since you say it will see no street use I wouldn't worry about tread wear.

8. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

what about at 42", do you think the irok is still the best choice?

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Even better choice. The tread depth of the 42" irok is VERY close to the tread depth of the TSL. So that really cant be a deciding factory. The Iroks grip SOOO much better then TSL's.

10. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

There is a 36x12.50 tsl on the market. Ive looked on Intercos web site and know the specs on these 3, so the choice is down to performance. I'll be mounting them on 8'' wide wheels so mabey that will suck the side wall in a bit. thanx, as allways very cool!!

11. rodney chambers

rodney chambers Registered Member

i run 35x15.5 sx on the bluggy. i love the traction but they are just a bit short.

12. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I'll be the oddball and vote for SX's. I don't care for the lesser tread depth of the Iroks, and road manners are not an issue on my list. I love the SX over the TSL's I had before.

13. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for the best in sidewall strength, then SX's. I do like the IROK but have never ran them myself, but have had heard nothing but good things about them from people I know who are running them. I run 36 sx's and once they break in (at first they were really stiff with 4 ply sidewalls, wouldn't even flex at 10 psi at first) they flex really well and do very good on rocks. Have rapped the sidewall with roots and sharp rocks and pinched them badly with zero problem. I am starting to think "why did I buy a fifth one as a spare."

14. BIGRED74K20

BIGRED74K20 Registered Member

i would not run the iroks, i bought the 36x13.50 iroks when they first came out and ive had nothing but problems with them. first off after 500 miles on them the insides were falling apart, i mean i got a handfulls of rubber out of them. so i had to warranty 2 new ones and had to pay to get them balanced and rotated. second of all they wear down really fast, my boggers lasted longer then them. and it seemed like every other month you had to dismount them to take the rubber out. plus the traction sucks unless you drive around with 13 psi like i do. and all of the the outer lugs are half gone or chewed up from wheeling. IROKS BLOW

15. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Anyone else hear of or have these proplems? Sounds mostly like on road use caused which is no place for a bias tire anyway really. As far as chunking or lugs being torn off this sounds like full throttel attacks on sharp, rocky trails. Not really my style except as a last resort:D Every set of tires I've ever used offroad had some chunking which is to be expected out of soft tires used hard on tough trails. Any more .02 anyone?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  16. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Looks like someone should have been running an AT. You have to expect some chunking on a tire are soft and sticky as the Irok. And 13 psi on a chevy 3/4 ton full bodied truck is way soft so the heat from that probably has something to do with his inner carcass failure.

I have had about 10 sets of Iroks go through my club and nobody has had any issues nearly as bad as this guys. The issues I have seen are balloning with the bias plys and boht versions running larger than other swampers. We had one member go from 39.5 bogger to Irok and he ate his fenders up with the Iroks on the first trip. He had runn boggers for a couple years and the fenders were clearanced accordingly. Another guy went from the 36 TSL to a 36 irok bias and same thing fenders were nolonger wide enough.

I am going to run Iroks for my next set once the TSLs are done. That could be a while with my engine currently in the basement :doah:

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i really like the iroks except for the tread depth for the 39.5"

18. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I'll vote SX's. I run them on my 1 ton k5 at about 9 psi on the trail, and I absolutely love them. There are plenty of rocks on the trails here, and I have been very pleased with their toughness. I slammed my left rear into a rock the other day hard enough it nearly pushed it off of the bead, and it just grabbed the rock and up I went without even a nick on the sidewall!

If there is one bad thing about the SX's, it is that they make the mud holes that used to be a challenge boring because now I just idle through them.

19. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

I have iroks and love them :D

20. TX_GLADIATOR

TX_GLADIATOR Registered Member

44'' tsl's for me