Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tsl super swamper or ground hawg?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79BRUISER, Oct 19, 2006.

1. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

Ok Im lookin at a burb that has 8 inch lift and the quy has two sets of rims and tires, 38" tsl super swampers and 38" ground hawgs. Both have about 75% tread. Im gonna try to get him to include both sets in the deal, but if not which ones would be better? this will be a 75/25 tow rig/ mud toy. I looked up price and thier fairly close in price for new.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bruiser

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I have 37" TSL SSRs on my Blazer. I havent had them out in incliment weather yet, but they seem to be doing very well on the street. They do hum a little above 35 or so, but hey, its not like Im driving a Cadillac...

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

hawgs wear like iron. but ride a little harder.

4. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

no complaints with my tsl's

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Both are good tires, but I prefer Ground Hawgs in the mud. The Ground Hawgs have a higher weight rating. I would ask him if you would be able to test drive it with each set on so you can pick the set that rides the best.

6. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

bad experiance with tsl...im not knocking them...sometimes people by good sets and some bad sets..i have only had bad sets..get the hawgs they will last forever..when they wear out get a real ste of tires BOGGER the only way to go!!!

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I plan on goin Hawgs my next time around

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have no experience with either but the wearability of the Hawgs plus the higher weight rating would make me choose them. On the other hand they are directional, not sure if that is your thing or not. Both will be loud on the street:D.

Ira

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my 40" bias hawgs take a few minutes to get the flat spots out but fling the goo almost as good as a bogger... However wears alot better than a bogger

i will never switch....

hawgs do run a bit small...
    40" hawgs.. 17x40x16.5 are recommended on a 16.5x9.75 rim and are 39" tall
    I had mine put on 16.5x12 rims to pull the height down some.. mine measure in at 38.8". I did that cuz NJ only allows 38's now through inspection and even 38.999999 is considered 38"

so in the future I would love to run 42" hawgs or 44" hawgs.. and I know they run smaller so will take that into consideration in the future....

so measure those hawgs first.....:wink1:

10. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies, sorry i havent said that sooner.

ok heres what happened, go to this guys house, very nice quy, look at a huge burb, 6" susp. lift, 3" body lift, 38 x 15.5 x 16 swampers on the truck, groundhawgs are in the backyard, one has sidewall bulging? body is in great shape, bottom of the passenger doors rusty and needs new front fenders. apparently the po wheeled it without the body lift and crinkled the fenders, very little rust otherwise, 350/350/205, 12 bolt rear, not sure of the front.
    motor runns strong, owner says it does great in the mud. Hes asking 2000 with the swampers, 1500 with the groundhawgs. has a rattlecan paint job, heat controls dont work, told him it might just be a vaccum line, very solid burb from what i see. heres the rub, my driveway is full now and im parking my truck in the yard as it is. I dont have room or time to work on this thing.
    By all accounts im kicking myself for not plunking down the cash and driving away with it. I need to focus on the k5 and get it running strong b4 i take on anything else. Decision decisions decisions.

sorry had to vent.

Anyway he said that with the ground hawgs being directional they would work good in the mud but if you had to back up they would be useless.

Im thinking of putting hawgs on my k5.

Any thoughts

Bruiser

11. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

ok I thought about it for a few days and had to have it. Called the guy back and offered 1800$. Picked it up last weekend. Will need work but its a pretty good starting point I think. went with the TSL 's cause the ground hawgs needed repaired. Let me know what ya think.

1976 suburban pics 003.jpg

12. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I like it

13. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

That thing looks bad ass, cowl hood might be a bit much, but besides that i like it.

14. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

nasty! i like it!

15. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

me likey

16. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

Thanks, too bad i cant take credit for building it, but the upgrades are going to make it mine. :D
    Not sure what to do with the k5. Most of the parts will cross over to the burb. its already donating a wiper/ washer motor and maybe heater controls.:( I hate to part it out but 2 projects at once will put me in the poorhouse, and maybe the dog house.

I'll post a poll and let the brothers decide what to do with it.:D

Oh btw, the cowl is already gone. I can actually see the passenger side of the hood now.
    Thanks, Bruiser