Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tsl swampers what psi for street use

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudhog, Feb 23, 2002.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i just got a set of 38x13x16in tsl swampers and was wondering what psi you all run on yours i was told to run it at about 28psi on the street what do you all run?

wheeling pics

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I ran my 35" BFG's at 28 on the street. I looked at the swamper website and they only list the max pressure which is 45..I don't even inflate my trailer tires to that much,LOL
    Anything around 30 would be good IMHO.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

3. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

28 psi seems to be about right but to be sure you can do the chalk trick. Run chalk out to the farthest part to the outside of the tread then roll around to see if it all rubs off. If not you need to go lower and... you get the point.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/fileholder2meg/projblazer.html>Clicky</a>

4. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I did what Chad reccomended. Mine are 35x14.4x15 SSR's, they ended up at 24 psi. I think that low of pressure is because they are so wide. I run 20 miles to work, they don't even get warm. Handles pretty good.

Later Ed

I'm not tail gating. I'm DRAFTING.

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, it all depends on the weight of your vehicle. You can use the use the chalk method or divide the total weight of the truck by 4 and that is the load that each tire is handling. Then compare that number in relation to the max load of the tire. So if it is handling the max amount of the tires recommended load then you would run the max pressure. You have to figure the percentages. Hope I didn't confuse you. [​IMG]

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

6. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I guess I'm the only one around here that runs my TSL radials at 32 psi?!!! The way I figure it (just by my own experience and knowledge) is that at that psi, my tires have worn evenly. Not so much the front ones, though. I ALWAYS run mine on the street as it is my only vehicle. The rear ones have worn perfectly-even at that pressure.

<font color=red>"PROCRASTINATE NOW!!!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I run my Radial's at 30-32 psi.

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>I'm Discombobulated </a>

8. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

28psi is too much for 38" tall tires.

You will get better wear and much better ride below 20

I have 38x12.50 on my long wheelbase. I run 16psi on the street. They are wearing great, and the ride is great for a truck this tall.

BTW, 32psi made my 30x9.50" BFGs wear in the center, imagine what it will do to your Swampers

Over 600 posts and still a "pavment pounder"...

9. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Then your gas milage drops to zero. There's a happy medium in between there somewhere. At 16 psi your probably making up for making your tires lasting longer with the gas money.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/fileholder2meg/projblazer.html>Clicky</a>

10. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

How would you know RedDwarf, you are still a Pavement Pounder.[​IMG]

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

11. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

39.5x15 16.5 I run 22 up front and 20 in the rear

Eat More Mud!!!

12. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I run 39.5x15-15 Swampers @ 20 psi. This seems to be a happy medium.

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You have a legitimate point. It's not the pressure in the tire that supports the weight of the vehicle, it's the volume of air in the tire. That's why the bigger the tire is, the less air pressure is required to support the same weight. 30 psi in 31x10.50 tire is a lot different than 30 psi in a 38x12.50 tire. The pressure, which is correlated to volume, of the tire is just the easiest way to measure what is in the tires.

14. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

"How would you know RedDwarf, you are still a Pavement Pounder"

That's "Pavment" pounder to you! [​IMG]

Just tellin what I have found to be true. Nearly every person I know who has big tires runs way too much pressure in them and their trucks ride rough and you can see that the center of the tread is lower than the rest.

Mine on the other hand are wearing even and ride good (except they're not round [​IMG])

Over 600 posts and still a "pavment pounder"...

15. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

I had 20 psi in my 39.5-15-15's and that was too much. Just went down to 16 psi. Hope its good enough. Might have to buy another car so my tires last long enough.

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

16. HighSierra

HighSierra Registered Member

Im my 33" radials I run 35 psi in the front and 33 psi in the back. I ran 33 psi all the way around at first but the tires wanted to roll over them selves to much. The truck rides and corners like a dream.

If it aint broke, Keep fixing it till it is.

17. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

all my 36x12.50-16.5s are at like 38 psi, is that too high?the sidewall says 45psi. they're bias-ply TSLs.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I talked to Scott at Rockstomper today and he has 44" Boggers on the back of his Toyota. Street pressure in them is 3psi and trail pressure is between 1/2 and 1psi. I run 34 in my 35's on the street.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>