Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TSL Thornbird

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hans999999, Jun 1, 2005.

1. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

Anyone run TSL Thornbirds or have any reviews about the tires?

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I haven't run them but I heard they suck in just about every terrain.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

bought a jeep CJ-7 once that came with these tires, 2 days later BFG A/T's went on, me and jeep were much happier

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

for some reason people call them tsl thornturds...

people that have used them say they suck in sand, mud, snow, ice, street....

over at pavementsucks.com there are alot of people that have replied.. with I used to use them... and some have pics... do a search over there...

some tires (my old thornbirds) are just too terrible in the snow/ice. no amount of good/careful driving would help those tires out

Your about to get alot of " dont get those POS tires" from alot of people. I for one hate stuckbirds. I've heard they arent too bad on a light truck, but I still would never spend money on them. If I were you I would stick with a radial swamper.

A definate NOT on that one. turdbergs really aren't that great for anything. To me they are a disaster waiting to happen. Just don't like them and think they area a waste of money.

A lot of off roaders will agree with me on this one. First timers that get into offroading or just lifting a vehicle will buy them just cause they look cool. They learn from there mistakes. I have never heard of anyone that has like them. I am sure there are some out there, but I wouldn't do it.

My neighbor's 31x11R15 Thornbird tomato planters. They sucked on his ZR2 S10. Wore horribly (both in tread life and odd wear), rode horrible on and offroad, about worthless in offroad, and two of them fell apart on him. Although to their credit Interco replaced both at no charge to him.

I don't care how much people say the side lugs get traction in the mud or whatever, the rest of the tire just all around sucks and turns into a big muddy donut. So basically you just spent a lot of money to get mud drag slicks with some side tread that sorta gets traction. Just spend the money on some tires with a tread pattern that works well, all of it.
    [​IMG]

5. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

Hijack i want to get some 38's but i do alot of hunting in winter whats the best tire for mud and snow thanks Hijack

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thornbirds are for show trucks. They look kind of cool, and thats about it. They provide terrible traction for something that has the Super Swamper name on it. If you look at the tire, you can see that it has a very mild tread, besides the big fatty side lugs.

There are a lot of tires out there but my two preferences in those conditions would be either SSR's or Parnelli Dirt Gripz.

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Poeple either hate thornbirds or they don't I have seen them work awesome in some stuff and I think a little time with a grooving tool would make them a way better tire. They do suck on ice but no more than swampers any big lug tire like that is just ice skates To get good traction on icy snowy conditions get Dick Cepek Fun countrys Also I had a buddy with thornbirds who siped them and he got good traction on icy roads from his. By the way I do not like thornbirds I like many other people would say get a different tire

8. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

hmm thanks for the advice i like my 36" SSRs anyway

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

They suck.

Nothing else to say really. :crazy:

10. Camorokkrwlr

Camorokkrwlr Registered Member

tsl thornbirds

i have them and i love them just stay away from ice/snow

11. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

how do you stay away from snow in Reno? My friend had a set of thornbirds and he was stuck alot.

12. Camorokkrwlr

Camorokkrwlr Registered Member

they do allright in really deep snow plus i have a big motor, lockers and a heavy foot