Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TSL vs BAJA CLAW

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TB2Blazer, Apr 19, 2005.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well its time to get some new tires and I just wanted some opinions on what has worked the best for everyone. They are going to be used about 60% on the street and 40% on the trails. Its going to see mostly rocky trails moderate in difficulty and mud only when necessary. I'm looking at either the MT Baja Claw Radial in 35x12.50 15 or the Super Swamper TSL in 36x12.50 15. Just trying to get an idea as to everyones opinions on these two tires. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

From what I've seen, Baja Claws are of more use to your Grandma as a planter than tires on your rig.

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Might want to look into the Pro Comp Xterrain as well. They will get good wear on the street (much more so than the TSL or Claw) and work awesome in the rocks. The tread is relatively quiet, does not flat spot, smooth riding due to being a radial, but tough also.

4. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Wow I totally forgot about the X-terrains...........thanks alot for the opinions though and keep em coming.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Tsl.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

no claws at all no good from what i hear. and the pro comps come on sale 3-4 times a year for the buy 3 get one free deals. so if you go those just ask when the next deal is going to hit. friend has them and loves them and yes thay are smooth ride and queit ride. i like my swampers tho. just my opinon.

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

xterrians arent worth a damn in mud, but as you said, that isnt much concern. claws supposedly are decent in mud, and the bias are a pretty tuff trail tire. i'd get the TSL in radials, second choice would be xterrian. MTR's supposedly work good in rocks too, they all probly get about the same mileage,with TSL being at the bottom of the list. just my 2bits tho.

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

stick with swamper
    cheap
    dependable
    good in rocks, mud, trails, ect
    not hoorible on the street.

9. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Every claw I've ever seen has shown horrible, horrible street manners.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ya what is with the bad vib on the bias swampers? i have had 2 sets and its gone in 1-2 miles , and i get more tread depth than the radials. that said i love my tsl's

11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i really havent heard any bad vibe. they are like any bias ply tire out there, they wont last as long as a radial will.

i love mine and i drive it all over the street. i have bias iroks and i have about 1/2 my tread depth after a year of driving.

12. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It seems like everyone is leaning towards the TSL. I have a set of 40's on my K5 now and they work awesome I've just never taken them on the street so I really don't know how they wear. The 35's I"m asking about are for my jeep its going to see a fair amount of street use so I want them to wear ok. I know I'm not gonna get anything phenominal as far as wear goes, just kinda curious as to what everyone thought. Thanks again for all the replies.

13. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

The plys get flat spots sitting, as the tire warms they round back out.

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If I had a choice i would pic TSL's but Claws aren't a bad choice in my opinion either. Marv Springer runs them and 87GMCJimmy runs them and they do pretty good here in the AZ rocks. Marv's claws did good in Moab and Parker too. They are on a buggy but they aren't a horrible tire like everyone seems to be making them out to be IMO.

Harley

15. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

My buddy has MT Baja's on his Croozer and from what he says they are too stiff, even aired down to nothing.

16. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Everybodies diss'n the claws :confused: I like mine alot! Maybe it's because they are radials.... He did say 60% street.

Mine ride so smooth & quiet on the street. Yet, when I air them way down in the rocks, they are unstoppable. As with any directional tire (claw, xterrain, etc) rotation is super important. I have rotated mine every 3000 miles and they have worn perfectly even.

Having said that, my next set will probably be TSL's. Only because it is now a 100% trail rig and other brands get soooo expensive 38" + on 16's.

Tires.jpg

17. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ive had good luck with my claws they are the radial, and are very stiff. You have to take em down to about 8-9psi to get em to bulge out. I bought them because of the life of the tires and the price. My next set of tires will most likely be Something Interco...

18. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll be a Claw supporter as well, but mostly because I don't have much to compare them to. I ran a set of 35X12.50 Radial Claws on Big Orange for 2 years and racked up approx. 40K miles on them in that time. I didn't rotate them very often and the ball joints in the front end were worn out also, but I still saw great mileage. I liked the mileage, cheap(er) price, and equally the aggressive look of the tread. In mud, they didn't impress me much, but it the sand they were unstoppable! They would dig down to the end of the sidebiters and it was all forward motion from there.

Now in comparison to the 29X10.50 TSL/SX's I have on the Samurai, there really is no comparison because I never got the opportunity to take Big Orange in the same places as the Zuk.

However, from what I can tell, the TSL's pull in the mud and rocks better, ride worse, wear more, and cost less, but I really can't compare them considering it is a bias vs. radial ply tire and two TOTALLY different trucks.

19. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies. I was also curious about the Goodyear MTR's I know they are good on the rocks but how about everything else? They just seem like and all terrain tire almost.

20. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

DOUGK20 your gas tank straps are

SICK!