Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TSL's in the front,Boggers in the back!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Oct 10, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

TSL\'s in the front,Boggers in the back!

I have seen and heard of a few rigs with TSL's in the front and boggers in the rear for better steering and lateral traction in the front with the boggers in the rear that hook up better and push through the slop. I am thinking about buying 2 35x15x16.5 TSL's and put them on the front and leave the rear 35x16x16.5 boggers in the rear. What have you guys heard and think of this combo? It would be cool too because no one else has done this yet around here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: TSL\'s in the front,Boggers in the back!

I like the idea personally.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I'm not sure if central CA has the kind of mud that would require that kind of setup, but I guess you're not looking for actual mud performance, are you? I doubt that you need boggers in the rear and TSLs in the front in order to hook up on I-5, the asphalt on that freeway is pretty tacky; I think that Boggers should hook up just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

over here on the east coast many of the guys that run mud bogs run that setup just because our mud is so thick and alot of the trails we run have clay all over them...i cant really see it in norcal but whatever floats your boat

Later

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school

Works really good. I've seen that setup in action many many times, and it allows good steering and the [darn] hooks up like none other.

6. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Im running that setup right now with 40's. So far i like it but its one of those things some people love and others hate.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

It's a popular combo back home, but keep in mind the rear will want to kick out on you a bit more , which can be hairy if you're on an off-camber hillside or obstacle, but if the TSLs have traction they'll tend to 'pull you straight'. I also recall having seen people have difficulty getting out of real muddy ruts when the TSLs can't get the traction to get up on the lip of the rut because the boggers just keep pushing forward. Kind of like understeer during winter driving.

I've never done it myself, just keep in mind the type of wheeling you do and try and weigh the pros and cons

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i grooved my TSL's to climb those slick mall walls. works great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not sure if central CA has the kind of mud that would require that kind of setup, but I guess you're not looking for actual mud performance, are you? I doubt that you need boggers in the rear and TSLs in the front in order to hook up on I-5, the asphalt on that freeway is pretty tacky; I think that Boggers should hook up just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ] You don't know sh!t. I am in rice field mud all the time, because I live on a rice ranch,which is about the stickiest sh!t you can imagine because the ground stays flooded all summer and then packs thick and heavy as it drys. I-5 huh, So because I DONT have cut up ugly fenders, Welds instead of black steels and drive my truck on the street ALSO along with wheeling it, You think I'm some poser, I'm in the mud probably more than you are! At least I use my truck other than just 4wheeling unlike a lot of guys that drive a honda during the week! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

dude you have quite the attitude as of late dont you...lighten up man...were not out to get you

Later

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[flamesuit] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

rjfguitar, your true colors have been shown. Our cut fenders are ugly, we should have welds, and 35s are the bomb. Boggers are better than anything else especially for a DD rig because they give an agressive look.

Wow, all this time I had no idea. I thought the black steels were cheap and easy to touch up and stronger than aluminum, the Boggers gave outstanding traction when not burned up on the road every day, and the cut fenders keep the fenders from cutting up our tires when we hit obstacles.

I'm glad you've clarified that with all of us. Good thing I don't take offense to comments that everyone that actually wheels has an ugly truck, which is basically what you said in so many words.

I happen to like my truck with some trail rash, dents, scratches, and black steels. I think it has attitude that way.

[/flamesuit]

mtblazer89,

Holy shi*, I thought I was all over the stupid pedal at times!! That guy NEVER lifts, does he????? DAMN!!!

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] You don't know sh!t. I am in rice field mud all the time, because I live on a rice ranch,which is about the stickiest sh!t you can imagine because the ground stays flooded all summer and then packs thick and heavy as it drys. I-5 huh, So because I DONT have cut up ugly fenders, Welds instead of black steels and drive my truck on the street ALSO along with wheeling it, You think I'm some poser, I'm in the mud probably more than you are! At least I use my truck other than just 4wheeling unlike a lot of guys that drive a honda during the week! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought we had put this behind us and you could take a joke. Guess I was wrong, I'll not make the same mistake again. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

BTW, I don't have ugly steels, I have uly Hummer wheels, thankyouverymuch.

Mud sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I was there when that video was shot, absolutley awesome to see in person.

16. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

He was just pickin' on ya, man. Lighten up. Oh, and I drive a Honda during the week. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Its quiet, fuel efficient, and fun to drive, so I see no need to wear out my 39.5 TSLs on the street when I can wear out $50 tires instead. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Will

17. rjfguitar

I just get tired of taking crap from a few that I am some poser, Just because I have welds and no cut fenders. I didn't say that a truck with steels,cut fenders,etc is ugly but for a daily driver it isn't the most attractive thing, not ugly. I don't have cut fenders because I have enough lift and no Tim, I don't think 35's are the greatest, they aren't tall enough for deep mud. I don't need 38's because I don't do deep deep mud, I am just in sticky semi deep stuff were 35's are enough most of the time. As far as tire wear, I have boggers on my DD, So what! Yeah, they wear out faster than an allterrain but AT's suck off road most of the time,and I feel that the mileage vs.traction is I pick traction. I don't have a honda to drive during the week so for now I will have boggers on my daily driver, have great traction when I need it, and replace them after 15,000 miles. It is worth it to me because I can afford it.

18. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Thats just about what I did with my rig for the last mud bog... only with Ground Hawg look-a-likes up front and 39.5" Boggers in the rear.
    ...if you can see the tires on the rig on the trailer in the pic: [​IMG]
    Boggers are great pushers, and less agressive tires up front usually leads to less stress and less breakage on front end components.

Though, on my first run, I still broke my front driveline CV joint about 15 feet off the starting line. The boggers pushed me over another hundred feet in 2 wheel drive before I finally stopped. If I was locked in the rear, probably could have made the full run in 2wd.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Must have been a pretty crappy mud pit of you could have made a full pull in 2wd. I managed to get stuck this year right at the end, even without breaking! That sucked. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif f

rjfguitar,

Relax. Of course you're going to catch flak from some people here sometimes, they're just messing with you, me included. I happen to like the way your Blazer looks myself. If it was mine I'd just take the body lift off, slap some 35" A/Ts on it and swap in a 4 speed and drive it every day. I think that'd be an awesome daily driver with a few modifications for my taste. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't let anyone give ya crap. You like your truck, that's all that matters.

I guess I am guilty of it too at times, but that's the exact attitude that I hated about Pirate 2 years ago and why I chose to come here instead. From what I've seen over there, if you're not a hardcore rock crawler, screw you. Now I know better, there are some good guys over there but some real freaks too. I really wish it wasn't like that here at times. Tons of guys have work trucks, plow trucks, trucks they use just for hunting and such around here. Big deal, we're not all hardcore 4 wheelers on this website. Some are, some are not, and we need to really stop barking at some of the people that are into some blingy stuff because we all knw that deep down we still would appreciate everyone elses truck as much as ours. We all love our trucks, that's why we're here.

I would personally put myself in the group here that 'wheels pretty hard, but I am just not skilled enough to do some of the seriously hardcore stuff that some of the others do here. If I was driving that truck in the above video, I would have shi* my pants! I'm alright, but nowhere near that good. He is pretty skilled to point that rig, nail the throttle and not roll over or break his truck in the process. I see some real nasty spots there that would make me take it REAL easy.

20. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

He actually busted his driveshaft at the end when he rammed 4 logs stacked on top of each other. I haven't watched the video in awhile since dialup sucks so I'm not sure if it showed it, it was pretty sweet. He owns a shop so I'm sure its not hard for him to fix anything he breaks.