Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TSLs or LTBs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, May 8, 2005.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

looking for a cheap set of tires for my 91, but i dont want any more girly street tires. my Steeltex absolutely suck on anything but dry clean pavement. my requirements are 31" tall, with a ~10" tread width, and a 15" rim. also like to keep it under $125 a tire if at all possible. so far the only 2 tires that i have found that fit all of the criteria are the 31 x 11.50 LTB, and the 31 x 10.50 TSL. anybody got any other suggestions? and of these 2 tires, which would be better? i know i'm not going to get a ton of wear out of them, but i just need them to get me by for a year or so.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A friend of mine runs a set of the LTB's on his S10. I've driven it and while not terribly impressive, they did balance fairly easily and IIRC are cheaper than the TSL's. If you want a 31x10.50 I'd almost recommend and off-brand mudder. I had a set of mud kings on a beater once (TSL style tread) and they were pretty impressive for a small tire. It'd probably be cheaper and do almost as well. Besides, I kinda doubt you're going to be getting into serious sh!t with 31's.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

can you still buy Mud Kings? my uncle had them on his Ranger, and loved them.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

wow, not even 4 hours, and already falling off the top page. anybody run LTBs on the street?

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

but, tread width is just barely 8", my buddy has them on his Dakota. i wish Tire Rack carried Interco tires.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

TJ, i bolted on the 33x12.50s that came on the K10 i got from you onto my 91 temporarily, as one of mine was losing air bad. that's what got me looking into a wider tire. even though they're 33s, they measure just under 31", with a 10" tread width, and a 12.50 section width. at this point, the LTB is getting the nod.

8. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has 34" LTB's on his "whats left of a Ford Ranger" rig. He loves them. He beats the snot out of it, on and off road and they seem to handle it well. Have you looked at Buckshot Mudders? Several guys I work with have them on their 95% street driven trucks in various sizes and swear by them. Pretty reasonable too. I'd say go with Mud Kings if you can find them, if not, LTB. Look at those Buckshots too though.

Kris

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as I know you can still get Mud Kings. I don't know which chains carry them but our local tire shop (a non-chain store) I know can get them next day.