Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TSLs vs TSL radials vs. SXs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Aug 20, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am lifting my tow rig again (87 Burb). Its getting a 8" lift and 38-39.5s. It tow with it so I need tires that handle decently. I really only tow my 18' howard flat bottom (3000 lbs with trailer). Which tire should I go with for good on road handling. I run 35" MTRs right now and they are awsome, but since they only go to 37s, they arent big enough. And towing to the lake is a 120 mile round trip.

Dan

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

38" radial. The big bias tires suck on the street. Even worse when its cold.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That's alot of tire on a tow rig... I'd say go for the TSL radials or a Ground Hawg Radial. I hear the that the Hawgs wear real good, but I've also heard a story about the Radials going 40,000 miles on a 3/4 ton Dodge when they are maintained meticulously. </font color>

4. DesertDueler

Well, I dont use the boat ramp at the lake, so I drop in on the mud. With the lakes keep dropping down, I need to go further in the water to get the boat off the trailer. The taller the truck, the less I have to worry about things getting wet.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

TSLs are great i have em. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif and the SX is the narliest tire out there. i like the reg. TSLs more than the radials.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I would stay away form the bias ply TSLs personally. I have 15-35x16.5s and I'm about ready to shread them. Great off road tires and local road running. Any type of distance and they'll drive you nuts. I drove the truck 5-600 miles in one day when I picked it up and 300 mile round trip to the sand dunes last weekend. Really fed up with them for road running, but they do look great on the truck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . Considering SSR radials, Parnelli Jones and Mickey Thompsons.

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

If you're towing, I say go for a radial tire. I like the regular TSL &amp; SXs the most, but the radial will ride smoother and last longer.

Will

8. muddysub

yeah they're loud. i went 170mi in one day and when i got back to vegas my ears were ringing, /forums/images/icons/frown.gif i wear ear plugs for highway use.

but i still wouldn't trade em for anything! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

They couldn't be that loud scott unless they're really high pitched.

10. DesertDueler

Well I am not worried about the loudness, just the handling since I will be towing. I heard the SXs handle pretty well since they have a real stiff sidewall, is that correct?

Dan

11. muddysub

yeah the side walls on SXs are stiffer than TSLs and TSLs don't handle bad at all.

12. muddysub

adam, (mudbogAD) combine the roar of the TSLs and the wind noise of having the windows down at 75mph for 2hrs straight. i couldn't hear the rest of the day. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

but i love them TSLs /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. DesertDueler

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Dan

14. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    If you are driving that much,I would stay with your MT/R's.The way I see it the Swampers are not going to give you the street performance of your MT/R's.But if you dead set on Swampers,I would go with the radials.If you are interested in 37" MT/R's I can get you a real sweet price at my local GoodYear dealer(under$160 each).Are you going to sell the 35's?Maybe we can help each other out.PM me if you interested.Mike

15. DesertDueler

O may sell then, not sure yet. I may put them on my dads burb. I have a set of 5 with discount tire waranty on them. Can you get a warranty on the 37s through who you use?

Dan

16. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Yeah...It's an dealer(no five finger discount!).Brand new and ready to go when he orders a set.Let me know and I'll talk to him.He got FWP(Fred) his set.I want a set,but other things to get first(the set of Dick Cepeks are running fine for now).Mike

17. DesertDueler

I wasnt trying to say you were stealing them, I just wanted to make sure that when I pop a tire on a rock, I can get it warrantied like I can at discount.

Dan

18. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Hey Dan,No big deal...I just wanted to be clear that I don't deal in that sort of business.I did'nt take it personally.Yes,It's a dealer...I believe the road hazard is $10-12 per tire.He just helped me out with a fellow CK/5er that had used tires mounted/balanced and installed for $32!Great guy....let me know if you're interested...ever.Mike

19. DesertDueler

I will let you know if I go that route (37s) I will also let you know on the 35s.

Dan